Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linn56

Tree Needs Help?!?

Linn56
11 years ago

I have a single red maple specimen 100 feet from any other trees in my Saint Louis city yard. It stands in the full sun with a single story garage wall ~10 foot to the North of the trunk. The garage is light colored and it does reflect heat. The tree is ~15-20 foot tall; I planted it four years ago. The tree has thrived until this year. I always water well; however, due to the drought, I have been watering even more extensively this summer. The tree started dropping leaves a few months back and I stepped up the watering in response. About 3 weeks after the leaf drop started, all of the limbs had experienced die-back for ~10-12 inches. The leaves all look generally unhealthy; they are greener by the trunk but they become more brown/red as you move out to the ends of the limbs. I blamed all of this on the record temperatures and did not become too concerned. The tree looked like it was going to bud back out but those buds now appear brown. The lawn under the tree is green. I did fertilize the tree this Spring but have not followed-up with a Summer/Fall feeding. I now see some sap leaking from the base of the trunk. When I first saw the sap I thought of borers even though I do not see the little round holes I would expect. I did spray the trunk 2X with rose spray the last couple weeks.

I've read all I can find on the web and I have been unable to identify my issue(s). I have purchased some Spinosad and I did plan on spraying the entire tree - I wanted to see if anyone could assist before I did that.

Comments (2)

• IpmMan
    11 years ago

First, trees never need fertilizer unless they are missing a specific nutrient. Fertilizer will make a tree put on growth but will not make it healthy, unless it is missing some nutrient, which is highly unlikely. Second randomly treating is more likely to do harm than good. We need more pictures and information. Watering well, what does that mean? Twice a day for a few minuets with a hose, a good way to kill a tree? Or once a week long and slow and deep, which is correct. Can you see a distinctive root flare at the base, preferably with the tops of the first major roots showing, or does the tree enter the ground like a telephone pole? Is there mulch half way up the trunk?
    The lower leaves look OK, answer more questions and take a picture of how it was planted and we may be able to help.
    Google "10 fun and easy ways to kill your trees" to see if any of these things match your situation.

• Linn56
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I water deeply approximately once per week. Again, the tree has thrived for the four years since I planted it (it put on ~12-16" of growth last year!). I'm a little shocked since I thought I watered so well but I think I failed and the tree is suffering from scorch and I assume borers (although I can't see any holes). We set record high temp after record high temp this year - this was the third hottest summer ever in our area. The tree is planted correctly; the root collar is at soil level. The tree does not sit in a "bowl" and it is located on a slight slope with good durface drainage (~1/4" per foot). The tree is not mulched; it competes with lawn grass. The soil is crap; the tree is located on an old building site with much buried rubble. I have been flooding the area with water for the past two weeks and the tree looks no different (better or worse). I've attached a pic of the weeping trunk.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals