Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfggardener

choosing a japanese maple

kfggardener
14 years ago

I am hoping to get some experienced advice. I see maples on sale and have always wanted one. There are 2 varieties

Oshio Ben and Tamukyama. The area I have is on the south side of my house and currently gets intermittent shade from an ornamental plum tree. This ornamental plum is very old and actually split last year. I have planted a tulip tree next to it to take over. This is a fast growing hardwood tree so I imagine will be throwing deep shade in about 10-15 years.

I have also just repainted the house. I use the terra cotta color for front door, raised stone flower bed in front of house and rain barrels. I have always wanted a JM and want now to get a color combination that will suit the house. The house is a soft red clay color, maybe slightly rose.

So my questions are. I am in Zone 5, what major concerns should I have. Will the light factors be suitable? If you know varieties traits, can you discuss briefly? I have been looking online but mostly see very abbreviated sales paragraphs.

If there are any other specail considerations for either variety, let me know.

I live in a very fertile area in IL. Everything in the yard just flourishes. I have been gardening awhile but honestly, growing things here is pretty darn easy here!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor