Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swanoir

Curled, wilted dry leaves on Japanese Maple

swanoir
15 years ago

I have searched for an answer to this question in the archives and while there are several similar posts, none of the ones I looked at had pictures and therefore I couldnÂt be sure it was the same problem. The answers also ranged from 'fungal infections' to 'too little water,' which is a pretty big range. Hopefully with pictures it will be easier to address what is wrong.

I have a Japanese maple that we planted two years ago and never had a problem. This year, we noted some of the leaves were curling up and drying out. Not really getting brown, just curling up and looking like popcorn. What is odd as that only certain branches are doing this. I had fertilized this tree in the spring with an organic, fish-based product.

At first, I thought the problem was that the landscaper only put one 1 gal/hour emitter right near the trunk. I removed this and put two 2gal/hour emitters on either end of the drip line. Of course, there is no way to know if this is helping, since the leaves are already dead, but the situation hasnÂt gotten worse.

We live in central WA state, which is basically high plains desert, Zone 5. I spoke to a master gardener who said we rarely, if ever, have problems with fungal infections because of the heat and lack of rain, so I am stumped at this point.

I have included two pictures - one within this post, and one via the link below. You can see that some of the leaves are wilted while other leaves are ok.

Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)