Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crispified JM

Posted by raymondo17 z9 Sacramento (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 16:50

Unfortunately, our recent vacation corresponded with the hottest days of the summer, and we came home to find our potted JM a crispy critter. About 3/4 of the leaves in the upper canopy are all brown and dead, but there are signs of greenery in the lower quarter of this small (about 3') potted tree. Should I do anything at all to the tree (besides keep it watered)? Should I remove the crispy leaves or let 'em stay where they are? Any hope of a recovery this summer, or will I not see any new leaves until next spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crispified JM

If there are still viable leaves or green shoots showing, just keep the tree well watered. It is quite likely it will produce new growth still this season.

Something quite similar happened to one of my small, containerized maples -- got overlooked in its watering during a record breaking heat wave. The entire tree shriveled up. I thought it was a goner but it has sprouted fresh new growth on all but the outermost stems, which are indeed dead.

o

Thanks for the good news, Gardengal. :)

o

we have near 100 temp summers and my 4 potted JMs usually have crispy leaves around july-august each year. last year 2 of my smaller ones went into early hibernation and stayed leafless until this spring. one of the larger ones dropped its leaves in Sept and releafed later in Oct and then turned a nice fiery red in Jan.

your JMs should be fine. one sign of life would be to look at the joints/notches and look for full and firm buds.

heres the pic taken in mid Jan
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here