Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megpie77

I hate my maple. What kind and how old does it look?

megpie77
13 years ago

Thank you all for any suggestions.

I posted this in the landscape and home decorating section and now that I pruned it (probably in a horrible way) I was wondering if a "maple pro" might tell me if it looks bad in the spot it's in and how old it might be. I am tempted to take it out and put something else there. I wouldn't mind it so much if it were half the size and the trunk didn't split into two making it massive. I think it's very cool, just too darn big. I don't love maples just because they are maples, rather if it flows with where it's placed. We plan on creating a bed up our walkway and infront of our hedge. I was told in other posts that it breaks up the linear lines of the house/driveway/walkway/hedge and I agree. I just want to plant something else there or make it smaller

Any suggestions?

before I pruned it

after I may have destroyed (pruned) it!

Comments (13)

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

I think the pruning you did to expose the branching structure looks pretty cool...I wouldn't move it unless you where putting it in my yard, lol.

• rmac78
    13 years ago

That is a very nice and mature Japanese maple. It looks like you took a little much off the top but I still think it looks good. I would suggest Japanese forest grass(all gold), or hosta would look nice under and around the perimeter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese maple companions

• houstontexas123
    13 years ago

it was definitely overgrown.

now it looks very artistic. kinda like a giant bonsai.

it could be worth hundreds to a collector if you can get a positive id on it.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

That's a Japanese maple, of which there are hundreds of varieties. It seems to be thriving in that sunny planter with the restricted root zone and topsoil piled up on it.

I would definitely keep it and plant some companion plants and a larger tree on the opposite side of the sidewalk to give this maple some relief from the sun.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Purple weeping laceleaf Japanese maple. Similar situations seen frequently here, although taking a comparatively long time to reach much size the time does come when there is not enough room unless long term development allowed for at planting. A choice landscape specimen like this certainly deserves such consideration, it's not the same as when an abelia or butterfly bush outlives its appeal.

You have cut enough off that it is possible some problems may develop, perhaps if nothing else heating up of the root zone. Time will tell. Passage of time will also involve it attempting to restore its previous size.

• smcstl
    13 years ago

I like what you did with it. Most people would LOVE to have a mature tree like this in their yard. It would be a crime to remove this tree.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

megpie77,

I also like your maple. It may or may not be your dream plant for the location but that's all up to personal preference. Some folks like roses, other orchids. Is either wrong?

You have been doing good work planning around on the forums. Come early fall if you don't like it and have a replacement idea go for it. If you or your landscapers can get the big boy out in one piece I'm sure someone would like to have it because if you were my neighbor I would be stalking your tree lol.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your response!

I should mention that I don't actually HATE the maple, I just hate that it is so darn big in that area. I was hoping a maple enthusiast would agree that the maple is too big for the area.

I would love to plant hastas under it but I get very hot direct late afternoon sunlight. I would like to plant something under it but I need to crawl under it to prune it so I'm not sure what to do. I guess just trial and error.

I do think it looks much more interesting now. I'm just wondering what other type of vegetation would look good with it and go with the maple in size.

I know I took alot off but I had to. I have to remove some of the branches that are hanging too low to the ground as well. It's my understanding that the top of a maple should drape over but not cover the trunk and some of those low branches extend to the middle of the trunk.

Thanks again!

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Note that the spelling is Hosta. You could try dwarf blue ones on the north side and see if the maple shades them well enough. One of the reasons Hosta beneath Japanese maple is a natural is both or east Asian plants needing moist conditions during the growing season - your laceleaf maple won't like the soil to become hot and dry near or under it anymore than Hosta would.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bboy-though my spelling is getting more and more terrible since school was some time ago, the spelling of "hostas" was an honest accident! Perhaps I will try hostas somewhere under the tree. I was thinking perhaps some rock wall herbs/plants might look nice. I'm starting to see that it's not the maple that needs to go, but rather other plants need to be brought in.
    Thanks!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

Looks pretty good. I wonder if those black mondo grass would look cool underneath it. It's probably worth thousands of dollars if it turns out to be a dwarf type.

• rmac78
    13 years ago

There will be no need to do any additional pruning for a very long time! You gave it ten years of pruning in 1 day. I do think it is still very nice looking.

I would put 3 hosta around the maple, one behind and 2 around the light pole (there are some very sun tolerant hosta). Then I would add some 1-2 ft rocks mixed with ornamental grasses close to the pillar. Fill in with iris, daylilies or coreopsis to add color. That's just my opinion.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

The only problem I see is that lampost in the way of an otherwise terrific maple... ;)

Josh