Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
satellitehead

Leaf spotting, any clues as to why?

satellitehead
13 years ago

I have four maples spaced approximately 30-40ft apart and approximately 8-9yrs old.

I have looked up the general leaf spots that affect maples, but haven't found anything like what I'm seeing. There is a bit of curl in some cases, but for the most part, its' just these tiny (flat) brown dots that eventually crumble out and leave holes in the leaves. It's affecting the lower branches more than the uppers.

Any ideas you can share are appreciated.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Google something like maple leaf spot and you are liable to encounter discussion that pertains, if you look for awhile.

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not trying to be rude, but have you ever done what you just suggested?

I dug for two days trying to find spots like this prior to posting. Also hit Google Images looking for pictures that match. Here's what I can tell you: There are only a couple of things that normally affect Maples. There are only a couple of reasons they occur. Many will persist if you don't remove fallen leaves at end of year. Of the common ones, one is tarry black (mine is not), one looks like a bullseye (mine doesn't), one has a bump that forms at the wound site after some time (almost like a gall, mine does not), and the others defoliate the whole tree or discolor the bark (none of which apply to my case).

Anthracnose is the closest to what I have, but it's still not quite correct, none of the varieties of fungi I've found cause problems that look specifically like my leaves, to the point it looks like something different. The fact it's affecting four different trees in distant proximity has me scratching my head - I always mulch with seasoned mulch, I never leave leaf litter around the trees.

Sorry I didn't include these words prior to express why I'm here asking, out of desperation. Believe me, I am not posting out of laziness or lack of trying to find the answer on my own, which is what I presume you may think based on your one-line response which would probably be helpful to a small percentage of users who were new to the internet or just outright lazy. If you look for other posts I've made at GW, you'd see that's not me. I don't think it's nice to assume that anyone fits that bill, and I'm quick to help others in other forums when asked. That's basically I'm posting here in this subforum rather than my regulars - I'm hoping a Maple lover out there will recognize my problem and potentially give good advice.

If anyone can help with something other than "go look it up", I would appreciate it more than you know.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Your Maple has Anthracnose.

"Solution: Prune fungal infected leaves and stems. Spray an organic copper sulfate fungicide (as directed until improvement can be seen)... water at ground level with a soaker hose or drip irrigation to keep leaves dry."

The ReaderÂs Digest Association Inc. Pleasantville, New York/Montreal; ÂThe Garden Problem SolverÂ; 1999; ISBN: 0762101407

Continue what you're doing keeping the diseased and fallen leaves away from the root zone.

Here's a good article I'll link you to, below.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Widespread Disease Attacking Maples In Fairfield Iowa

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks Dax! it's been an unusually wet year this year overall, i guess i shouldn't be surprised. it's the entire lower half of the tree infected, i feel pruning back isn't necessarily possible. will continue reading.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994