Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My baby Japanese Maple

Posted by messymoops z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 18:07

I am going to try to post a picture of my young'un. It was a "volunteer" from my neighbor's yard. I've tried raising others like it before, but had no luck till now! I dug this out of our lawn last year and stuck it in a corner of my front bed for a nursery to see what would happen. Last fall its few (maybe four) leaves were munched off by varmints. They came back once, but were eaten again. I gave up hope. But this spring...voila! Here it came back! Now it's about a foot tall, with many leaves. My questions are, what kind is it? And also, should I just let it grow straight for a few years? Do I need to remove any leaves at this point, or what? I've never raised a tree before!

Now let's see if I can make pictures appear...

Mary

No such luck. I'll post this then go try and figure somthing out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My baby Japanese Maple

Well, I'm totally frustrated. I hope no one gets mad for posting this here, but I am trying to pull in my picture to my message, which I see has been done before. I finally got it into the garden Gallery, but how do I get it in my message?! Waaah!

Mary

o

Mary, try this

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick and Easy way to post pictures

o

Well, thank you! I'd still prefer to put the actual picture in the post, but the link will suffice for now! It looks like the instructions you have might have changed, though I'm not sure. Anyway, here's the link, see what you think it is!!

Thanks again!

http://i16.tinypic.com/5zp6dyu.jpg

Mary

o

Ok firstly I'd put some chicken wire around it to keep the critters out ...second a seed grown tree is classified a seedling tree and is NOT a named cultivar ...It looks like a matsumarae leaf form which is not uncommon...and is simply a red japanese generic maple. It seems healthy so just protect it and let it grow DON'T trimm it or remove any leaves..if it's in a "bad" place I'd wait a year and next late fall or early winter or late winter early spring dig it up and move it. Even generic Jm's like a little afternoon shade but they are "generally" hardy and not too picky it will likely do ok just about anywhere. David

o

Why, thank you! The chicken wire is a fine idea. And thank you for the rest of the advice. I'll let you know how it does! It's a fun adventure.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here