Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmo_0121

Any maple cultivar that could thrive in zone 10? I need guidance.

jmo_0121
11 years ago

I'm from Illinois; I now live in zone 10 in Florida. I am absolutely in love with maples. I remember taking long drives with my father when I was a child to go "maple watching" in the fall. It occurred to me that I would experiment and plant a maple here under the best possible care and see what results I would get.

What maple do you guys recommend? I have a balcony/porch garden so it would have to be a small species that can stay in a pot, the size of the pot can be bigger as the tree matures, I have plenty of space.

My balcony faces north so I don't receive morning sun, but I do however receive afternoon sun from about 4pm on out. I do have a place on my balcony that receives no direct sunshine at all time though if said tree would require it.

Winters here are a 50/50 thing. Two years ago we had temperatures in the upper 20's at night and 30's and 40's were a regular. The year after that, we stayed in the 40's throughout winter. We're expecting a cold winter though, so maybe that could help.

What do you guys recommend? Japanese maple? What cultivar? any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)