Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paperbark maple

Posted by charphy 48047 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 18:42

Hello,

Just planted our front landscape a week ago and the paperbark Maple looks terrible. We have watered daily for at least an hour. The leaves are brown and crispy and falling off. It was a balled 7 1-/2 foot tree that we transported from nursery to our home covered in a landscape tarp. Hope someone can help I dont want to lose this tree. Do you think it's in shock because of the time of the year and that it might be ok next year?

Thank you,

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paperbark maple

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 21:10

Was it dug up out of the ground at time of purchase?

o

It was in burlap not in the ground. Looked healthy when we bought it. Just 5 days later it started to look browner was a green blue leaf.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 11:20

Original field soil root-ball may have become dried and be resisting moisture. Dig around in that to see if there is dust inside. May still be possible to bring tree back by getting the root-ball wet all the way through.

If instead actually too wet you will discover that by looking inside the root-ball as well.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 0:36

Did you remove the burlap at the time of planting? If not remove the rope and burlap around the trunk and pull the burlap back as far as possible and remove what you can. Once you have done that follow bboy's recommendations. In the past I have seen cases where they have used 2-3 pieces of burlap on the ball which can hinder water getting to the root ball.

If you have watered 1 hour each day for a week though I would think that is way to much. Right after planting I generally saturate the new plants rootball and mulch. After that I won't water again until the rootball just starts to dry out.

o

Hello,

It's spring and was hoping my paperbark maple would be ok. It has 4 trucks and it looks like 3 of them are getting buds which is good but the main trunk the largest is not. Should I be patient or if the others are getting buds does that mean I lost the main trunk?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here