Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponicafe

Maple tree growing in container

zuponicafe
15 years ago

Hi! I have a maple tree growing in a plastic pot I grew tomatos in last year on my fire escape. I noticed it this spring & thought it was cute, so I left it alone to do its thing.

Well, now its 2' tall & I'm wondering what to do keep it through the upcoming winter, as I'm quite fond of it.

Here are my questions. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Should I even attempt to winter it in a container, and if that is possible, what type of container? It is currently growing in a 10" plastic planter.

-I noticed it has white splotches on a few leaves (3) that look more like mold than the bird turds I originally thought. Should I treat it? If so with what? It has been an insanely rainy summer here in Maine, so it could just be actual mold, but the soil is not moldy, and it is only on a few leaves so I am thinking that's probably not the cause. I haven't added any fertilizer to the dirt either, if that helps to diagnose.

I wont post a bunch more questions until I come up with a game plan for what to do first, and I apologize if these questions are redundant, but I couldn't find any information on the web that I could apply to this particular situation.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County