Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I remove all the leaves from my dessicated tree?

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 19:15

About a week ago we had a stretch here in NYC with temps in high 90s for like a week. I apparently didn't water my garden enough (unfortunately my landlord never installed an external water connection, so I have to water my entire yard carrying buckets of water...!).

Anyway, the leaves on my acer palmatum dissectum have shriveled up and dried out. I've watered it since but clearly it's not going to come back this year. Should I just remove all the dried leaves? I don't suppose it will grow new leaves this year...maples don't do that, right?

Tx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I remove all the leaves from my dessicated tree?

It might just put some out. My purple ghost has a couple new bright purple leaves over the faded green ones.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

My old carpet cleaner had a long water hose you hooked up to the kitchen sink. How far out is your garden?

o
RE: should I remove all the leaves from my dessicated tree?

Personally I now leave the leaves on,though it does look ugly.I did remove the leaves,leaving the petioles on a 'Skeeters' once,and every branch I did died back.The leaf removal may well not have been the cause,I'm not sure,but I'm wondering if doing so caused the petioles to die prematurely,ruining the new buds beneath.As Toranado said,you may get some new growth,or just some tantalising new buds waiting to open,my Suminagashi has both.I guess the tree knows best what to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here