Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shantung maples 10 ft apart?

Posted by bhawkins 7b, 8a dfw dallas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 19:46

any idea how shantungs planted 10 ft apart would look in 10 years?

(yes, i know they should be 20-25 ft; but we all cheat sometimes, dont we? :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shantung maples 10 ft apart?

Are you trying to create forest-like conditions with no grass underneath?

o

hi lou!

i'm trying to screen out a neighbors house. i think i'm going to try at least 1 shantung. 24 ft south of it is a persimmon tree, so maybe a could plant another in between. & 10 ft north of the first shantung there's another open spot. so i could conceivably have 3 in a row.

in downtown allen tx they've lined the streets with 30-40 ft tall oaks 18-20ft apart; & even though the limbs all grow together at the top, the overall effect is quite nice. so if allen can crowd oaks together, i thought maybe i could crowd shantungs.

the trees will be in a north-south line, should be plenty of sun for all

thanks!

bob

o

Bob-

It's hard to visualize how they would turn out. Like you, I would have to look at mature shantung maples to get a better idea. Their growth habit is different than oak trees though. I'm sure you know what I mean. I had thought about doing something similiar as well for more shade on my house from afternoon sun like 15 feet spacing which would mean two more fire dragons to the front yard. I already have 2 fire dragons in the front yard (i live on a corner lot so I have more room to plant).

I was hoping for Skinny Dragon but it doesn't look like they will be available before spring unfortunately.

Have you looked into Montezuma Cypress esp the ones from New mexico (they are originally from Mexico/South Texas) and they apparently have significant better cold tolerance. They are fast growing and would provide privacy most of the year since they tend to hold leaves longer - they are evergreen/semi-evergreen bald cypress depending on the location but semi-evergreen up here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here