Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple (not Japanese) for Best Reliable Fall Color in Pacific NW?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 20:07

I'd like to add a Maple Tree (not Japanese Maple) to my yard here in Puyallup (Seattle/Tacoma WA area), am curious to hear from those in this area that have grown Maples as to which provide the best, most reliable fall color year after year.

Color-wise my favorite is orange/red (or bright red/scarlet).

I know there are a ton of varieties such as Autumn Blaze, Pacific Sunset, Red Sunset, October Glory, Autumn Radiance, Sugar Maple and on and on but my focus is to get the most reliable flashy fall color I can here in the Pacific Northwest. I'm looking for a medium/large tree, not a Japanese Maple.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple (not Japanese) for Best Reliable Fall Color in Pacific

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 22:44

Try October Glory. This will become a large tree, as in 60' plus, in time, that like other large-growing maples will be likely to dominate the area it occupies as it grows larger - both in how it affects adjacent plantings and in how it reads as a landscape element.

o

If you like an intense bright red, the "red sunset" red maple is probably more of the hue you're looking for. The color doesn't last as long as october (november really) glory but in my observation they are a brighter red.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 23:44

I grew that one for years, very colorful but I think October Glory would be a better bet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here