Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion plants for under 'Crimson Queen'

Posted by shelli563 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 21:36

I'd like to get some ideas for low perennials or groundcover for under my Crimson Queen. She is small enough at this point that the plants will thrive in the dappled sunlight. I was thinking of golds, chartreuse or silvers.

Shelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion plants for under 'Crimson Queen'

Since eventually you will have a pretty dense canopy, you probably want to go with low growing plants. There is a groundcover hosta called lemon lime that might be good. It's cheap and easy to find from mail order, I would think. THere are some gold lamiastrums that are ground covers and easily found at nurseries here, also lamium 'White Nancy' might work.
Kay

o

I have some variegated Vinca minor growing under mine. It has green and gold leaves, tolerates shade, and is very low growing. See the first few pics in this slide show:

Japanese Maples - Spring '08

Regards,

K4

o

I have Sedum repestre 'Angelina' growing under mine.

o

I've grown Creeping Jenny, black mondo grass, Chrysogonum, partridgeberry, and hosta under an 'Octopus' Jap maple, all in a raised bed with limited root space next to a pond.

o

All of the above are great possibilities :-) How tall your tree will get and the distance from the canopy to the ground depends on where it was grafted and how it has been trained - some selections will provide greater unobstructed space for plants than others. Whatever you select should have relatively shallow roots and be able to remain in place without need for frequent (or any) division......that's why low growing groundcover-type plants are ideal. Other possibilities could include the Japanese forest grass, Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola', or epimediums. The epis foliage goes through some seasonal color changes, with new growth emerging a bright limey green in spring, often with reddish edging, then maturing to green in summer and with some species, turning a rich coppery red in fall and winter. Plus, there is a wide range of color to the sprays of tiny orchid-like flowers they produce in early spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here