Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergarden

Acer Eskimo Sunset

bernergarden
14 years ago

I am looking for information on Acer Eskimo Sunset - specifically the root system growth and the mature size.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,

Daniel

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I grew Acer pseudoplatanus 'Puget Pink', which only differs in its leaf coloration. This is not a large tree -- should reach somewhere around 15-18', perhaps as much as 20' at maturity, with an equal or slightly larger canopy. Like all maples, will produce a widely spreading root system just under the soil surface. Needs sun and good drainage.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

'Eskimo Sunset' is a mistake for 'Esk Sunset', named after the Esk Valley in New Zealand. 'Puget Pink' was raised from seeds of 'Prinz Handjery' and may not really differ from that one significantly, making it really just another clone (or clones) of that cultivar. This and 'Brilliantissimum' are pink new growth types, the leaves becoming a stippled pale green later rather than being blotched with pink in the manner of 'Esk Sunset'. A similar plant, perhaps an independent mutation rather than a named cultivar grows in a row of non-variegated purple-leaved sycamore maples along a street in Lynnwood, WA. It is as big as the other trees in the row.

A yellow-variegated cultivar has also produced full-sized trees in this region. I have already seen 'Esk Sunset' in local gardens that were well above my head. It may perhaps grow more slowly that the typical plant but I would not be surprised if it became a medium-height or larger tree in time.

• picea
    14 years ago

Hi Daniel,

Lakeview Nursery in Fairfield Ohio has some nice size plants for sale this year. Much larger that any of his Japanese or Paperbark maples. Given the size and form of those plants I would have to think its growth rate is slower that the species but faster than any of the asian/japanese maples.

• lisaonbainbridge
    14 years ago

Bought a tree labeled "Acer Eskimo Sunset" (by the nursery)several months ago. It is planted in morning sun/afternoon shade, and has lost much of its variegation. It is mostly a blotchy green. I have read/heard that they need shade, but also that they should be in sun, so I don't know if light exposure is a contributing factor. Also, could it be mislabeled, or a problem with the plant stock itself?

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I have seen highly colored specimens in full south exposures in Seattle. Probably you are seeing some diminishing effects from the shading there. I would not expect this type of variant to require shade, especially in our climate.

• pnjames
    11 years ago

I have two on north side of my house - around 9 years old and around 15 feet tall. I think these will get pretty big- maybe 30 feet- moving mine this fall. When I bought them seller thought maybe 12 feet max but clearly a lot bigger. I am in Central NJ - anyone with a similar climate grown them in full sun?