Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
japmapleman

Color of Japanese maples

japmapleman
12 years ago

I'm in zone 7 Georgia north of Atlanta. I have probably 30 Japanese maples in containers. They are doing good. My question is about their color. When you read descriptions on the different varieties that I have, mine are nothing like it. If I put them in full sun they bronze out really bad and the leaves fry. In shade they turn dark green. Am I just in a bad zone for these trees or what?? Most of them are in a gritty mix or a chunky pine bark type soil conditioner. I'm pretty sure they are getting the proper nutrients, as they grow and look healthy year after year. I have tried everything. Most maples say morning sun and afternoon shade, but that doesn't even work. I'm so digusted because I love these trees but can never get the colors out of them like you see in the pictures. Does anyone have an answer or at least some advise???

Thanks in advance

Comments (4)

• User
    12 years ago

Japmapleman,
    How long have you been disappointed in the color?
    How long have you had them?
    Why are they all in containers and not one is planted in the ground?
    Have you been tempted to plant even one in the ground to see if you like the color better? Then you would know that you are missing something in your mix, PH, micronutrients,
    or even something else.
    I have 3 gorgeous jap maples in the ground.
    Their color is fantastic.
    I am not brave enuf to grow them in containers, that requires more work and is a whole different culture.
    Ask this question on the container forum on garden web, there are bonsai people on there that may be able to answer your questions in regards to your containers.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Maples grown in containers tend to experience more stress than those grown in the ground, regardless of siting. And that stress can definitely affect leaf color. All the containerized maples at my nursery have off colored foliage at this time of the season, despite the fact that we have a very mild and cool climate. Ideally, a situation that would provide no more than 4 hours max of afternoon (in your climate) sun should provide as close to normal leaf coloration as possible -- too much sun will fade or bronze red foliage and too much shade will prevent the proper red tones from developing on most red leaf varieties. Dappled or filtered shade is more desirable than solid shade. Some red leaf forms are known to retain better coloring through the heat of summer or in full sun. Or select varieties that offer greenish toned leaves......many of these will offer both brightly colored (often red) spring growth as well as intense fall color.

Nothing wrong with growing JM's in containers and there's dozens of reasons why this option is most desirable for many gardeners. Just make sure you are using a proper potting medium, fertilizing as necessary and providing adequate water (and water that is not overly alkaline). With the heat that many areas of the country have been experiencing this summer, growing anything in a container is proving to be a major challenge!! Good luck :-)

• japmapleman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks! Would it be possible for me to email someone some pictures of a inaba shidare in question, then they could post it on here? I really want someone to take a look,

Thanks again

• User
    12 years ago

You have to open up a free account at photobucket.
    Then after u download the pic onto their site, you will see various codes, you copy the HTML code.
    Then you come back to garden web and post it right in your message.
    Try it, it's pretty easy, you will see.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia