Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dredawg5000

JM Fireglow size

dredawg5000
17 years ago

What is the mature height of a JM Acer palmatum Fireglow? Depending on where I check mature height is 6 to 12ft or 15 to 25 feet. Any input is much appreciated. I want to ensure I site the tree appropriately.

Comments (6)

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

It most likely depends on your location ...being in the south it might well get fairly large ...in the upper range would be my guess ... I would give it the JM biblical planting... morning sun and afternoon shade...and down there with your brutal summers maybe a but more shade or filtered sun ...mine burnt in scorch like areas this summer during our HOT and dry spell last month as did my emperor 1 although the FG did keep most of its red color unlike my E1 in full sun that DID NOT...This summer has been a torchure test for most jm's especially red ones...most of my green ones faired much better ...most of my reds are more bronze and show leaf scorch.Some are now shooting out nice new red branches but overall even my older Bloods are more bronze than red ( although the older ones did not have leaf scorch or tip burn which i think is more prevelant in the first few years of jm lifedom)....but then our unusually brutal summer is the norm in atlanta so beware!! David

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

It's not cast in bronze. Trees vary. That is part of the reason you can't find references agreeing on a single mature size, plus definitions of mature vary as well. 10 years old? Ultimate size?

Here is a link that might be useful: Myth of Uniform Plant Performance

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

Bboy is correct even though you live in an area where winters are mild and growing season is long ..if your soil conditions are not good or drainage or siteing with not enough sun or too much... your tree may never grow that big... and I am sure there is some varience from tree to tree as far as size goes too if the mother tree was not a large grower the grafted tree won't be and with so many out there who knows..but I stand by my previous post under ideal conditions in your area the upper end is likely or at least possible ...so I would plan for that but realize it may not happen and it will likely take years to achieve that bigger size especially if you buy a smaller tree or ebay newbe IE: DON'T plant it 3 feet from your house. David

• davidcf
    17 years ago

I've had a Fireglow for about 3 years now, and it's in afternoon sun. It's been growing at about 8" a year - not as fast as nearby Osakazuki. Haven't watered it all summer even though we've had a hot one (did water it regularly first 2 years). Looks great though leaves are more bronzey now. At present it's about 7 feet tall.

• ajwillys
    17 years ago

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as I too am curious as to their mature (10-15 years) and ultimate (20+ years) size. If ANYONE has a Fireglow, I'd really appreciate knowing the approximate width and height as well as how old it is, even if its small and only a few years old.

Thanks!
    Andrew

• dredawg5000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ttt