Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my Maples on Steroids!?

Posted by OrangeCountyNerd none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 1:45

So I planted two Maples, a Sunset Maple and a Red Maple around March. The trees were small and fragile, see pictures.

Red Maple
20120315_150436

Sunset Maple
20120315_150351

Its been 6 months and the trees went from being around 3 feet to 7 feet tall!

Red Maple
Red Maple

Sunset Maple
Red Sunset Maple

What do you guys think? These guys seem to be doing much better than I EVER thought they would. Im guessing they will keep growing until November as it stays very warm here in Orange County, CA. The Red Maple has MASSIVE leaves!

Any advice from here on out you guys wanna give me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my Maples on Steroids!?

Day-um!
I am so impressed!

My Sunset maple is healthy, but here in Maryland it has never achieved that rapid growth. Can't speak to a "red" maple, since that could mean anything.

Except ... the leaves are sometimes ... red!

Enjoy these babies!

o

Thanks CEFreeman, gotta give all the props two those two trees. Incredible.

Its been an unusually hot and humid summer here, so maybe they are soaking up the California sunshine and water!

I thought it was called "Red Maple" since that's what it said on the Arbor Day Foundation site where I bought them from.

How long have you had yours?

o

LOL!! A "red" maple is just the common name for Acer rubrum (rubrum being Latin for red). Also known as swamp or water maple. And despite the name, they do NOT have red leaves - just red flowers and reddish leaf petioles. And often a very nice red fall color.

btw, your Sunset maple is really a Red Sunset, or formally a 'Franksred', and it IS a cultivar of red maple. There are many other cultivars of red maple as well.

o

Well excuseeeeeeee me. Obviously the "Red Maple" doesn't have red leaves. Ill get the names right later. Geez.

o

Excuse me back.....that comment wasn't directed to you but to the remark that inferred red maples had red leaves, a common misconception. Which they don't, except for fall color.

A little touchy aren't we??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here