Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

My Fireglow JM has leaves turning green - confused!?!

bencjedi
13 years ago

My 4 year old Japanese Maple Fireglow has its bright red leaves turning green this summer. Could this be a mineral deficiency? I put 10-10-10 around the tree is early spring this year. It has been very dry in the area the last several weeks. The ground is so dry that I have cracks forming in the clay subsurface that makes up the alkaline soil here. I have not watered the tree, but maybe I should have.

The tree never had its leaves turn like this. Other than this peculiar transformation the tree has been very healthy. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not. I'd appreciate some advice or reassurance that the tree is ok. Thanks

Comments (12)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

It happens in full sun all day long. Lack of watering may have play a role. When it cools down and get enough rain in the fall, it should revert back to red (fall color).

• bencjedi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for letting me know it is really nothing to worry about. We need rain badly here. We've had a negligible amount since early July. :(

• drrich2
    13 years ago

I'm in southwestern KY & my 2 Bloodgoods & 1 Emperor I have all turned to a rather dark green instead of the burgundy purplish-red they're known for.

Richard.

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

I realize this post is dated, but I have to comment.
    Fireglow (and Emperor 1) is one of the varieties that does BEST in full sun, retaining it's glowing red all summer. Mine, in unrelenting full sun with a horrendous drought happening -- plus 66 days over 95F -- never lost its color.

That said, I don't have any idea why yours would be turning green. Too much shade would have been MY guess, given it's engineering for full sun. Water it a bit more, definitely?

Christine

• bencjedi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Relentless drought here, but finally some nice soaking rain yesterday. It's 'fired-up' now.. the leaves actually turned red again. It gets plenty of sun in the front yard all day. It looks normal and is going into dormancy now:

From 111610

Looks like major lack of rain is what made mine turn green. It's happy again! :)

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

Oh, that's great!
    I am eyeing mine for dormancy because I'm going to move it up closer to my house so I can see it better this time of year. I am addicted to red.

Enjoy your beauty!
    Christine

• mike423
    13 years ago

Let me know if your willing to do some trading if you have some seeds. Ive been wanting to grow either Fireglow or Deshojo as a bonsai specimen. :)

-Mike

• luyeno
    13 years ago

My guess is that the 10-10-10 fertilizer is what turned the tree green. Too much nitrogen or not enough sun can cause this effect in red maples. It looks like your tree gets a lot of sun. Maples don't need a lot of nitrogen. Too much nitrogen can cause leggy growth in Japanese maples.

Hope this helps.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

I'd be inclined to think the alkaline soil may have been an influence rather than the fert. Unless the fert was over-applied, it is unlikely that excessive nitrogen was at issue - nitrogen is the least stable of the basic plant nutrients in the soil and is often lacking.

Mike, you DO know that seeding grown JM's cannot be considered named cultivars? There can be a huge amount of variablility in the seedlings and they often look vastly different in leaf shape and color from the parent tree. They are just generic Japanese maples, Acer palmatum species. If you want a small Fireglow (or other named form) for bonsai purposes, you will need to try from cuttings or from starter grafts. Cutting grown JM's are rather tricky to get going too.

• LISA YOUNG
    8 months ago

My fireglow is two years old, in part sun location and in an 3"x2" rectangle open bottom brick planter I built. I deep water her twice a week in hot summer temps 90's, other than that once a week. This year she's showing green and red leaves with a touch of orange color. Also, to be more accurate, I put 1 inch llayer of Happy Frog potting soil thinking this will give her the nutrients in the soil. Question: Should I be concern?

• LISA YOUNG
    8 months ago

Sorry I mean, 3ft by 2 ft rectange brick planter

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    8 months ago

Lisa,

Probably best to start your own new thread. And add some history of how the plant was cared for, what was last winter like, were there any late frosts, droughts, etc.

Add pictures of the plant and most importantly, give a general location of where you garden. Nearest big city is good enough.

Many of the people that posted on this thread haven't been around here for years and many of those that are still here, won't answer old threads that have been added on to.

Sponsored