Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sango-Kaku

Posted by nyctric 92129 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:28

We are going thru some heat wave here in Southern Cali. I can see the some of the leaves (right edge of the photo) on my coral bark maple tree are burning. So I moved the tree under the big tree with full shade and away from evening light. Even then I am starting to see the tip of the leaves are starting to burn. Now i am thinking to keep the tree in the house for a week or two until the heat wave pass. My question is that it is ok to keep coral bark maple tree indoor for couple of week? any other suggestion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sango-Kaku

No!! You do not want to take the tree into the house. That will be no help and could actually make things worse. Since you have moved this around (and are contemplating moving it more) I assume it is in a container and that may be the crux of the problem. The tree itself doesn't mind heat but the roots do, much the same as containerized tree roots are more sensitive to cold temperatures than the woody top growth.

You want to keep the tree in shade, especially the base and container and make sure the tree gets adequate water. Hot weather can allow potting medium to dry out very rapidly and if the container is not well sized to the tree itself, this just exacerbates the situation. The crisp leaf tips look entirely like a water issue.

o

Thank for the tip! Yes it is in the container. I have been watering full every morning but maybe like you said it's the container size that make it dry too fast with this hot weather. I will keep it outside under full shade and water daily to see how it is for next couple of days. If doesn't work then i will switch to bigger pot.
Should I cut all the leaves that are half burn already?

o

No need to. The tree will be dropping leaves on its own before too much longer.

o

my potted JM's do that every summer here in Houston, mid to upper 90's under an east facing back porch.

i've read that the bark needs sun to turn red. seems to be true. the side that faces east is reddish. the side that faces the house is grayish.

o

Doesn't cold air also make the bark turn red? I just planted my first Sango-Kaku this year, but it seems like I read that online. It is extremely cold here in Arkansas, and my tree is very bright red. (More so than when I purchased it this Fall). But this is my first season with it, so I am still learning about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here