Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lions head maple

Posted by genatac nyc (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 7:14

Hello

The above tree is growing on a roof in NYC. The top leaves are browning and crumbling, and much more curled in than ones on the bottom. It is in full sun, is watered frequently. We were told that it would be fine in this environment, when it was purchased. It is in a very large container. Is the problem too much sun? Or something else?
Any thoughts appreciated-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lions head maple

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 22:43

Perhaps the rootball has dried, in spite of the efforts to water it?

Stick a finger in it to determine if it's moist or dry.

o

We have had some very hot and humid days in Aug in the north east and this may be part of the problem. Many of my maples planted in the garden have shown signs of heat stress this year. The other factor to consider is how much wind the tree is exposed to. This will dry out the leaf surface and make the leaves curl. I have a few of these growing in full sun at the shore and they are not showing stress. Good luck with your tree; it is one of my favorites.

Ed

o

It is not a dried out rootball, as far as I can tell. I'm very disappointed, because we were looking forward to the beautiful colors it is supposed to have in the Fall, and the leaves are just crumbling off. It's hard to believe its just wind burn, but possible, I guess. Next Spring I'll move to a shadier spot, assuming it survives the Winter. I have 2 other japanese maples that are doing well, with much less sun, so perhaps that's the problem. We were told that this one is a very slow grower- is that the case?

o

How long have you had it? The symptom you describe sounds like leaf scorch which is due to insufficient water getting up to the leaves. Many factors can cause it, several of which have already been mentioned. It is also possible the root system is not healthy (overwatered?) or the tree is not well established. Full sun and a windy exposure will tax a weak root system.

o

I think we've had it for about 3 months. Perhaps it was not a well-grown plant to start, as when I received it, I noticed the curled-up leaves right away, called the nursery, and was told that it was normal- but it never really seemed to thrive. If the root system is not healthy, is there anything I can do to ameliorate now?

Thanks for your help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here