Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is eating my Japanese Bloodgood!

Posted by smoochas zone 7a-NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 8:06

I planting this japanese maple during the summer and something has been eating it the last couple of weeks! :( Can you ID what is it and help me save it? My hubby wanted to give it fertilizer but everything we've read says they don't want fertilizer. Is it Japanese Beetles or? What can we do??
Hubby didnt mulch it well when we planted it. Does that have anything to do with it?

P1011022web

P1011026web

P1011025web

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my Japanese Bloodgood!

A few holes in the leaves from insects is really nothing to get overly concerned about.......this is more of a cosmetic issue than anything that can actually harm the tree. And at this stage of the season, it is too late to consider spraying for -- the tree will be dropping its leaves soon enough.

I'd be more concerned about the dried, crinkled leaves showing up in the second and third photos. These look like the tree is going through some sort of stress, either transplant shock or improper watering.

Mulching is always a good idea. Just keep it away from the trunk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here