Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acerman2010

Winter Grafting Japanese Maples - Zone 8, SC

acerman
9 years ago

I'm looking for advice from someone in the southeast who does winter grafting on maples. I don't have a greenhouse, but I do have an enclosed sun room in my home that I plan to house about 75 maples in for a few weeks in order to start the process of bringing them out of dormancy. My plan is to start in ~January by bringing in the green palmatums and let them begin to break dormancy (swollen buds). I'll then graft some of the 20 or so varieties I have outside onto them (budding tape, graft wax) and let them stay inside for another 4-6 weeks until it looks like the scion has "taken". I would say that the sunroom will maintain a temperature of approx 70 degrees throughout this whole time. There is plenty of light, and I will ensure good circulation throughout. Is there anyone in my area or a similar climate (Zone 8, SC) using a similar method? Any advice on additional measures to take? With the house's central heating, will I have to worry about humidity? The grafts will be sealed with the wax, so I think not, but I'd like an experienced opinion. Any watering during this time? It seems everyone I've talked to (even in this area) does the summer grafting thing, with about 50% success (I'd like to raise this success rate). One thing I think that I'd be avoiding in the winter are the diseases that could affect the graft's ability to join/heal. I would think these are much more prevalent when it's warm. It seems like everyone's method is slightly different. Most of what I've read suggests winter, so I'm wanting to try this out. I'd appreciate any advice, even if it's only on part of my proposed process. Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions