Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maple seeds

Posted by wildlifeman n.e. washington (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 9:09

am in process of a large re-forestation project on my land.

i have noticed that rocky mt. maples are springing up thru patches of snowberries and i would like to harvest the seeds and " artificially" spread them in snowberry patches as it appears that none propagate in open grassland.

at what point are maple seeds fully mature and can be "picked" from the tree. i know they are viable once they are blowing in the wind, but hate the thought of trying to pick-up a couple of 5 gallon buckets worth of maple seeds for re-forestation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maple seeds

Most of maples species' seeds are starting to ripen right now I think. As a rule of thumb though, if part of the samara has started to turn brown while the central part of the seed is still green or colored, it is ripe and safe to pick. You can also wait until the entire samara has turned brown before picking it as they will usually stay on until the leaves start to drop in fall. But if they are brown (and therefore dried) you might try stratifying them to help increase your yields. They dont germinate very easily and this could increase yeild from 25 percent to over 75 percent. If there is some green on the samara you may get better yeilds without stratifying, but still not in that 75% range I dont think.

o
RE: maple seeds

thanks for the info.!

i will try all your suggestions and experiment a little.

the samara has started to turn brown , yet the the seeds are green at this point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here