Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my silver maple grow in Florida?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 9:25

I am moving to Florida. I have a silver maple... actually a ton of them. When I was weeding my garden this spring, I found a ton of trees, most of them are Silver Maple and the "Tree of Heaven" Sumac. I don't want to leave these plants here in Schenectady. I was wondering, can a Silver Maple survive in Florida? Thanks in advanced!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my silver maple grow in Florida?

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/Extension/ffws/tface.htm

UF says it is native to northern Florida.

o

Probably - it can grow virtually anywhere in the continental US - but likely less happily in Florida than just about anywhere else. What's wrong with leaving them where they are? There are many more zone appropriate plantings available for you in FL......things that won't grow in upper NY. Embrace the opportunities!!

And don't even consider moving the tree of heaven - first, it is not a sumac at all (Ailanthus altissima) and it is highly invasive.

o

Tree of heaven isn't sumac? Oh. It looks like one though. LOL I guess I'm having that same moment as when I saw a plant that looked like a palm tree and it turned out to be a tree fern. lol But isn't all sumac invasive though? If not, what species aren't invasive?

o

The term 'invasive' is often used to refer to different things ;-) In its most accepted usage, it refers to a non-native plant or animal species that has spread into natural areas to the deteriment of the native species. It also has an economic facet, usually with a species that adversely impacts agricultural or forestry situations.

Tree of heaven - Ailanthus - fits into the first category, a non-native species that invades and populates natural areas at the expense of native species. Sumac is not considered invasive under any of these guidelines. First, a number of species are native and by definition cannot be considered invasive. Second, it does not invade or overwhelm natural areas or cultivated farmlands. Rhus (sumac) does have a suckering, spreading habit but then so do many other types of shrubs. But it is relatively easy to contain and limit its spread.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 17:30

Of all the plants you can grow in Florida, you want a Silver Maple?

If it has some sentimental value then I get it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here