Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyjumper_gw

maple seedling care?

skyjumper
13 years ago

earlier this year I planted a red maple from seed (taken from neighbor's tree). the tree was planted to commemorate the birth of our first son.

thus far I have grown it in our sun porch. with fall/winter approaching I'm wondering what I should do...

leave it on the porch? (it will get below freezing)

take it indoors and keep near a window?

burry it in mulch outside?

what about fertilizing/staking/watering/etc?

obviously I have no experience growing trees...

thanks for the advice!

here's a photo...

http://a.imageshack.us/img827/7982/mapleseedling9410.jpg

Comments (2)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Cute little fella.

skyjumper, what part of the country are you in?

Overwinter in St. Louis stuff in pots get awfully cold roots. One way of doing that is to bury the pot in the soil. Anything outside I like to protect inside a fence, keep the rabbits away.

You still have to water it every couple days maybe once a week whenever the soil dries out.

• skyjumper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

we live in Chicago and do get some brutally harsh winters. although the various red and silver maples that sprouted from seed in my flower beds over the past years seem to survive just about anything (even my attempts to pull them out).

we do have a deer problem here and I'd hate to have a deer chomp it off at the ground. based on what I see happen in nature I'm sure it would grow back, but would be disfigured. I'd like to maintain the nice symmetry it has now.

I guess I had visions of keeping it indoors over the winter to keep the roots from freezing and the animals away. but if it needs to be exposed to winter in order to survive later on then I'll burry the pot outside and cover it up with something.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor