Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htrinh

Are my maples sick?

htrinh
9 years ago

We have lived in this house for 2 summers now and I've noticed our maple trees never look like they have nice leaves. The leaves look eaten and burned. In the fall they never change to a nice color, they just die. compared to our neighbors trees, they look sick. I don't know anything about the maples other than they are very big and provide the only shade for our yard. They are close to other trees but they are the largest trees. I have two maples that are about 40 ft apart, maybe more, set at the back of our 1/4 acre lot.

Comments (5)

• htrinh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more pics

• htrinh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more

• Gretchen W.
    9 years ago

I am having the same problem. I contacted the nursery that installed the tree and he told me that the roots needed to have water. So I stuck a broom stick in about a foot and have been slow trickle the water for like 3 weeks. Still nothing. When you get an answer I hope it will help you.

• dirt_farmer
    9 years ago

I have had very good luck with compost tea. I would use about 5 gallons of tea per tree and re dose if you don't see any improvement in two weeks. I use this on a large variety of different tree's including evergreens.
    Making your own compost tea is the cheapest way to go and I am pretty sure there are tons of directions for it on the net.

Good Luck

• eibren
    9 years ago

Part of the roots of the one tree are exposed, and there is some damage. Is that a trench or erosion next to the roots that are exposed? Also, could sod have been placed over the roots on the other side of the tree, causing some suffocation?

Root damage and suffocation can be harmful to the health of a tree. Maple roots are near the surface, and are more sensitive than one might think. Chemicals placed on the lawn might be harmful in some cases as well.

Additionally, some moth caterpillars eat maple leaves, causing some defoliation. There are little groups of birds that make the rounds and eat these caterpillars, and anything you might place on your grounds to attract them, such as a birdbath, could help.

Using poisons and insecticides will discourage the birds from helping out.

During a substantial drought, some judicious watering might also be in order, as already suggested, and if the soil is poor, some sort of organic feeding probably would be helpful, too, as already suggested.

Insects tend to bother distressed trees more, so you probably have a smattering of several problems that are combining to make your trees unhappy. Also. they will not turn color if their food production is inadequate, or if weather conditions are unsuitable.