Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Intertwining branches on 'Crimson Queen' JM ?

Posted by shelli563 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 10:26

We planted a beautiful Crimson Queen in August and she is doing well. She is about 5'tall and wide. Near the top of the tree, branching from the main trunk are 2 branches that have grown intertwined. They are flexible enough now that I think I can maneuver them apart if I need to without breaking the branches (considering what I paid for the tree, I don't want to break off anything unnecessarily).

Though the intertwined branches add an interesting appeal to the tree, my concern is that as the tree grows, the branches may "choke" eachother and end up dying. Is it better to untwine them or does it make no difference? I've included some photos. Thanks for your advice in advance.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intertwining branches on 'Crimson Queen' JM ?

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 12:44

I would cut the center one out rather than untangle it. Three branches originating from the same place on a maple branch is usually one too many.

o

If I leave it as is, will the branches continue to grow healthy?

o

Very cool. Will possibly grow together, which is also very cool. I have seen this before. Really can't hurt anything, as trees are tough. They are just two branches, and as this is a shrub type maple, strength of the limbs is not a problem. Don't over worry.

o

I also think it is quite interesting looking, so I'll leave it as is.

Another question on caring for this tree...If I want this tree to continue to grow upward, do I need stake the leader? How do I exactly do that? Or will the tree do that naturally on its own? It appears to be a mature tree, it did not have any stake when I purchased it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here