Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

If a tree falls in the woods...

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Does it make a noise?
Well, I still don't have an answer to that, but I can tell you what I saw and heard today, and there by the grace of Nature do our trees survive:

I was walking around looking at the heat damage 5 days in blistering heat did to my gardens while I was away. Ironically, one garden had too much water and the JMs are suffering.

So I heard this 'Whoosh! SLAM' noise, turning around in time to see this hit the ground:

You know how a tree will die, but other suckers will grow up around the dead tree, forming a circle? Well, I've been watching this dead cherry sucker for a while, worrying that whatever direction it took when it fell, it'd kill trees and desirable plants.

This baby sheered off the side of my 'Red Dragon' Japanese Maple:

It went between two shrubs I'm going to dig out anyway, and took out 1/2 of my 'Squash Casserole' hosta. Hostas will complain, but they'll pretend it never happened.

All in all, in all the directions in which about 16' of dead cherry tree could have fallen, it missed a mature Birch, a 15' tulip poplar, most of the JM, all of the 1/2 built pergola, a 7 year old 'Inazuma,' a 'Beni Komachi',' a 'Chantilly Lace', and 'Berrima Bridge' JM, and a bunch of other things.

Now I have only 4 other, mature suckers to worry about, because the base of the dead sucker was rotten, which leaves the other subject to quick deaths:

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 11:35

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus