Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notes_gw

Maple Roots (pic)

notes
16 years ago

Are these okay, or is there some girdling (or something else) going on?

Probably just being paranoid, but I really like the tree.

Fremanni (Autumn Fantasy)

Thanks

{{gwi:431512}}

Comments (7)

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

That looks fairly typical to me...but it may indeed be a bit rootbound. When you planted it did the roots go around and around at the edge of the pot? If they do it is usually a good idea to cut the sides of the rootball 3 or 4 times to keep these roots from growing in a circle. If there are roots that do this they will keep swelling before eventually choking the trunk of the tree (or the roots themselves) as the trunk gets to the width of the original rootball. This is always a risky maneuver but it is necessary when considering the long term health of the tree. It is another reason why it is important to plant in spring or fall (depending on hardiness) to allow the roots to heal and sprout new growth before the heat of the summer comes around.

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

I'm more concerned about the total lack of root flare, which tells me it has been planted too deep. Can you pull the soil away from the base of the trunk to where the trunk widens out into roots?

• notes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I listened to you folks before selecting and then planting, and tried to follow directions.
    I made vertical cuts on the rootball, and a few underneath. The lighter colored inner circle in the pic is the same diameter as the pot. The darker stuff is lower (ground level). It looks like that might be the other way around, but I planted high. It was planted in early April, and I never had more that 2" of mulch - never too close to the trunk. I also watered religiously.
    The tree looks pretty good, and has grown quite a bit.
    Should I do surgery, or just wait?
    Thanks

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

If it aint broke don't fix it ...you really don't know if there is anything going on below the surface...I guess you could clip some of those small roots that seem to be starting to wrap around on top or just keep a close watch on it ... I wouldn't mess with it if it seems healthy others might have other ideas...There may be a problem but I think your messing it up far outways any heavey duty work on it that may be unecessary ...My instinct ...and it is just that...that you're worrying yourself uneccesarily..David

• notes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Better pics (I hope) taken from opposite sides.

{{gwi:431513}}
    {{gwi:431514}}

• tcharles26
    16 years ago

Yuk. I'm sorry. That is a sorry container plant. RE: "but it may indeed be a bit rootbound" ...seriously? a bit?

That was way underpotted. That's a pretty big trunk and pretty coarse roots popping up out of the pot.

You're right there is no root flare. Probably grafted on a crappy underpotted rootstock (kept in a small container too long). And some portion of the graft union was burried in the pot.

If its still under warranty kill it with herbicide and take it back to whoever sold it.

• jean001
    16 years ago

See responses on the Trees Forum at
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg09113109843.html?17

Here is a link that might be useful: the other post