Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple root system question

Posted by ptwonline 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 12:10

I know that maple trees tend to have large, problematic, surface root systems. Is the same true for a Japanese Maple?

I want a pretty small tree for the center of an island garden bed, but something too big will create too much shade. So I am looking at Japanese Maples for a combination of their smaller size and beauty. But of course if they have surface roots that will choke out other shrubs and perennials, then that is no good.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple root system question

Compared to their larger growing cousins, Japanese maples and their other Asian relatives have very modest and completely non-aggressive root systems. But like any tree, as they mature there will be lots of roots present under the soil surface. And these roots tend to be extremely sensitive to any disturbance - injuring them in any manner can lead to some very serious problems.

I typically suggest designing and then planting the surrounding bed at the same time as you plant the tree, thereby reducing the potential for damage later on. And if you can limit your plant selection to low shrubs, groundcovers or spreading perennials that do not require division - plants that require minimal attention or cultivation once established - your maple will be very happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here