Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezochi

Variegated Maples

ezochi
16 years ago

I'm going to be planting my first variegated JMs this week. I've been hesitating thinking of them (rightly or wrongly) as being on the less hardy side. Is it true that these need to be planted in part shade (or afternoon shade) to avoid leaf burn? Conversely, does the variegation not work if it gets too much sun? I'll be planting an Oridono Nishiki and Butterfly, the two hardier varieties that have been known to be successful in my zone. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (12)

• conifers
    16 years ago

You better build a brick wall around 'Butterfly'. That's the least-hardy one I know of.

You do need part sun with more emphasis on shade noting that the variegation will be better with sun however. So siting is tricky really.

Also, it's my opinion that the larger the plant to start with, the much better chance of survival. Check out Stanley and Sons Nursery (online) out of Boring, OR. They are wholesale and do not sell to the public unless you're a member of The American Conifer Society (cheap)... or possibly The North American Maple Society (I do not know about that though). They sell so many Acer's your head will spin, and, they ship 10-gallon plants. I bought an Acer palmatum 'Omurayama' with shipping included for 110 bucks last year. Their stock changes all the time so you need to check to see what they have on a regular basis.

Best,

Dax

• ezochi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are you sure Dax about this info? Have you experienced this yourself? Because in other posts by dansgarden Butterfly is mentioned as having been grown successfully here. In fact, I'm on the conservative side since I don't want things to perish, but most Variegates should be like other cultivars I would think. I know Oridono Nishiki is fine here.

Now, about a brick wall I'm sure your joking about this, but for those who don't know a hard impermeable surface as a barrier is not recommended as a wind break. The best windbreak is actually natural stand of trees. The second best is a fence that lets air through so a back draft won't affect the plant.

Thanks for the tip on the Nursery. That is a good price for a ten gallon!

• conifers
    16 years ago

Well, I used to be a nurseryman and Dan who is a real good friend of mine for many years seems to be the exception to all things Maple.

I say go for it, but, my old boss in 2001 said he ordered 'Butterfly' time and time again and also planted two of them in his own garden here in Rock Island, IL and they both perished during winter. Plus, I've heard through the grapevine that this cultivar is very-non-hardy so that seems to back up his accessment (my boss).

Go for it!

Dax

p.s. check out the 'Inaba Shidare' Thread for recommendations.
    p.p.s. I don't know a person who would build a brick wall around a tree!!!! lol still chuckling! Sorry!

• ezochi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dax, but it maybe too late. I have it on order. It may have been a post on another site regarding hardy or tested Maples when 'Butterfly' was mentioned as having been tested fine in the Chicagoland area for ten years. However, I can see why your boss tried --it's a cool cultivar, but I'm not too encouraged. I guess I'll give a go of it in the most protected spot with room I can find. I'll report on what happens.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Here's the 'Omurayama' I got from Stanley (maybe a 7 gallon - regardless it doesn't matter):

Dax

{{gwi:698248}}

• ezochi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wasn't too late after all. I was able to catch the order before it was sent, and got another in its place--'Beni Otake.' I know this one is fine here though not a Variegated Maple it is a nice Linearilobum. BTW what a nice 'Omurayama'. Hard to believe you only paid $110 for it. You'd think the shipping alone would be as much.

• schmoo
    16 years ago

Nice looking "Omurayama". Hard to tell from photo, but looks like it was budded??? Is there a brownish stain right at/on the union??

• kaydye
    16 years ago

I guess it's a little late, but I live in Central Illinois and I have two Butterflies. One I have had since 1995 and one probably about 4-5 years. It's probably all about the siting. My original one is growing down in a small valley. The other is more exposed, but my yard is kind of protected by woods all around. Sometimes I get a little dieback on branches, but not a lot. I should also say that I spray all my Japanese maples with WiltPruf and wrap them in floating row cover or burlap until they get too big. My original Butterfly is too big to wrap anymore, but I still spray it. I guess it depends on how much babying you want to do. As far as variegated maples to for zone 5, my vote would be for Beni Schichihenge. It has been so hardy and has grown so much, also since 1995, never has dieback, just a fantastic maple. Ukigumo is another that has been really strong, but I'm not impressed with the amount of variegation on mine. Orido Nishiki grows like a weed. I didn't think I'd like it a lot (since 2003), but it is eye-catching and vigorous and looks great from a distance, even though the variegation is mostly at the tips of branches. Well, I'm kind of rambling on... Sorry.
    Thanks for the info on Stanley and Sons. The larger my maples are, the better they seem to do overwinter. I'd be happy with a #5 container plant.
    Kay Dye

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I think that is exactly right it depends on how much babying you are willing to do , siting , and willing to live with some doe back maybe quite a bit depending on the winter . Same goes for summer conditions...no tree will look like a catalogue photo all summer..at least here ...thats a gurantee...I also agree with the Ukigumo... I don't know where those plants are that look like the photos but but they ain't around here... That being said it is a really beautiful tree in it's own right even if it's clouds ain't floating.( There have been several folks that have said the same thing)I am starting to think that around here it is best classified a sand dusted variegate...most of which are subtle to point of being questionably variegated ...maybe better referred to as watermarked ;>) David

• ezochi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info Kay.

I think I saw your post on the UBC site about your two Butterflies, and I was going by that when I first posted about the Butterfly. BTW that was a good discussion and I still use that discussion as a reference. It's good to know of other JM collectors who are planting various cultivars in this or similar zones. My zone is similar to Central Illinois due to the moderating influence of Lake Michigan as is those of most in the Chicagoland metro area. And nothing beats experience of an actual planting.
    It will probably be next year when I get a Butterfly and Ukigumo (perhaps)--both on my must have list!

• kaydye
    16 years ago

ezochi,
    I sort of stumbled onto this site. I think I like it better than the "official" site. Seems like there is more activity and discussion. Often I ask questions on the maple site and get no response.
    KayD

• ezochi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I actually stumbled upon that discussion on the UBC site that took place last year, but don't really post there. And we've had a number of discussions about zone limits for various cultivars.

What is WiltPruf? What does it do? I never heard of it. Will it help to protect the trees during the winter?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES