Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a Japanese maple that has red leaves all year round

Posted by bayarea-girl 9B NorCA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 13:24

I'm new to growing Japanese maple and looking for a Japanese maple that has red leaves all year round. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a Japanese maple that has red leaves all year rou

No Japanese maple has red leaves all year round - these are deciduous trees and lose their leaves in winter.

But most red leaved varieties of JM hold that coloring all season, often with brighter and more intense coloring with both new spring growth and with fall changes.

o

Sorry, I should say that I'm looking for a Japanese maple that when it's not losing its leaves, the leaves should hold the red color instead of changing to different colors. Thanks.

o

And that would be most red leaved JM's, although some will 'bronze out' a bit in summer if in a very hot, sunny location. Typically they go through a series of colors, with spring color one intensity followed by a more subdued seasonal color and then a pretty bright (usually) fall color. So bright red to hot pink in spring to a deeper wine or maroon red in summer to a scarlet/brick red in fall.

Do you want an upright or weeping form? Fireglow is an excellent choice for an upright; Crimson Queen or Inabu Shidare for a weeper.

o

I'm thinking upright form. I read online and "Atropurpureum" and "Bloodgood" are mentioned.

My parents bought a red JM but it changes color to green in certain season so we want to make sure we get all season red this time. Thanks.

o

Both of those two are likely to take on the bronze-green tones in summer if in full sun. Emperor 1 or Fireglow could be expected to hold their color better.

There are a couple of excellent resources for Japanese maples in the NoCal area - Pacific Coast Maples:
http://www.pacificcoastmaples.com/japanese-maples/japanese-maple-trees.html
or Mendocino Maples:
http://www.mendocinomaples.com/

o

Thank you gardengal48. The recommendations and the two links are wonderful.

I also saw a beautiful maple tree next to an office (this one has small green leaves) and wonder about its name. Thanks.

o

Another image.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here