Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Looking for a Japanese maple that has red leaves all year round

I'm new to growing Japanese maple and looking for a Japanese maple that has red leaves all year round. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (17)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

No Japanese maple has red leaves all year round - these are deciduous trees and lose their leaves in winter.

But most red leaved varieties of JM hold that coloring all season, often with brighter and more intense coloring with both new spring growth and with fall changes.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I should say that I'm looking for a Japanese maple that when it's not losing its leaves, the leaves should hold the red color instead of changing to different colors. Thanks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

And that would be most red leaved JM's, although some will 'bronze out' a bit in summer if in a very hot, sunny location. Typically they go through a series of colors, with spring color one intensity followed by a more subdued seasonal color and then a pretty bright (usually) fall color. So bright red to hot pink in spring to a deeper wine or maroon red in summer to a scarlet/brick red in fall.

Do you want an upright or weeping form? Fireglow is an excellent choice for an upright; Crimson Queen or Inabu Shidare for a weeper.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking upright form. I read online and "Atropurpureum" and "Bloodgood" are mentioned.

My parents bought a red JM but it changes color to green in certain season so we want to make sure we get all season red this time. Thanks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Both of those two are likely to take on the bronze-green tones in summer if in full sun. Emperor 1 or Fireglow could be expected to hold their color better.

There are a couple of excellent resources for Japanese maples in the NoCal area - Pacific Coast Maples:
    http://www.pacificcoastmaples.com/japanese-maples/japanese-maple-trees.html
    or Mendocino Maples:
    http://www.mendocinomaples.com/

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you gardengal48. The recommendations and the two links are wonderful.

I also saw a beautiful maple tree next to an office (this one has small green leaves) and wonder about its name. Thanks.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another image.

• Ethan Bell
    3 years ago

@Bayarea_girl z9ca I have a JM on my front yard that's upright and stands at about 15ft plus tall. The leaves on my JM don't turn green and stay red all year round. Even if it's extremely hot abd sunny in the Summer it just turns into a darker red like more of a purple/wine coloured shade of red instead of it "Bronzing out" like @gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) said. I'm not sure what type of JM i have but through the seasons i know my JM turns into a really super bright almost neon red in the Spring, then during the Summer it turns into a purplish/wine coloured red, in the Autumn/Fall it changes to a brighter blood red color until the Winter time when it turns into a darker burgundy colored red four like a week then all the leaves fall off.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Ethan Bell
  • Ethan Bell
    3 years ago

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Ethan Bell
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Ethan Bell Thanks Ethan. I got my red JM which called Fireglow.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"I got my red JM which called Fireglow."

Excellent choice!! I use this frequently in my landscape designs and have one myself :-)

• Maplesthebest
    3 years ago

Shaina stays quite redall year. Delicate though, mine died for no reason and i have seen similar complaints.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Maplesthebest
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My Fireglow has been very healthy and beautiful. Helen

• goldenwaterlillie
    last year

@bayareagirl, your Fireglow looks beautiful. Does it stay red? I just bought one from Summer Winds but had to return because leaves are greenish. It’s spring so I expected the leaves to be vibrant red but they aren’t. Could it be because it’s not on full sun?

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    last year

@goldenwaterlillie Yes, it stays red the whole year.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I think we need to amend that statement a bit :-) Japanese maples are deciduous - they lose their leaves in winter. So Fireglow remains red while in leaf but not the "whole year"!!