Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting Acer mandshuricum

Posted by wendyb 5A/MA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 13:56

I've read a lot of the threads about pros/cons/risks of transplanting palmatums and dissectums in fall vs. spring. Does the same go for trifoliates?

I have a 2-year old one that is in too sunny a spot and all the leaves are quite scorched. I would like to move it to a shadier spot. I would prefer to do it in the fall if there is not too much risk.

The root ball was quite small (about a "gallon" size) when it was planted spring '06. Maybe I can get all the roots with minimal disturbance.

would you take a chance doing it now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting Acer mandshuricum

Sooner the better. I transplanted an Acer Palmatum 'Nuresagi' this past week after projecting how large it would grow. It got reduced last winter to a couple of branches, but was nonetheless pretty healthy. However, I didn't know in early Spring since it looked pretty pitiful then. I planted an AP 'Osakazuki' far too close to it. Late Spring the new growth was prolific--far more than expected.

It started out last year as a three gallon, but I transplanted it about three feet further so the soil is similar. I dug around the roots and underneath and was able to move it with most everything intact. I've watered it everyday by giving it a good soaking and it looks ok so far. Yours is even smaller so I would think it would be easier to move. Just treat it like a new planting because by moving it it will have to adapt to the new location no different from a new plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here