Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahyams

Burgundy Belle with brown leaves

AHyams
9 years ago

I replaced a beautiful Autumn Spire maple tree after it was toppled in a storm last year. When Autumn Spire wasn't available at the nursery, Burgundy Belle was recommended to me as a "show stopper" with beautiful color.
In the fall wWen the green leaves of summer turned to a chocolate brown, I hoped it was just because the tree was so new and was perhaps somewhat stressed from the planting. However this fall is shaping up the same way - with the green leaves turning immediately to a deep brown. They are not dead - it's just the color they become in the fall.

I have no experience with this kind of tree. This is the opposite of what was described to me and doesn't match the brilliant red online images I saw before purchasing this tree.
Am I doing something wrong? Can anything can be done to kick up the color to something more appealing? Fertilizer or whatever?

Comments (7)

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Mine is starting to turn a brownish color as well. I don't remember that last year but I do remember the tree went through several transitions to end up with a deep burgundy color by mid to late fall.

Where are you located? Can you post a pic? If you do I will.

• AHyams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding. I have a full image of this small tree but that gives a vague reddish impression - perhaps because the leaf stems are red. This close up shows the true color of the leaves, a sort of cherry coke shade of brown. Sorry it is sideways. I didn't know how to reorient it for uploading - but you can see the leaves well enough.

I live in MN - the Twin Cities. I purchased the tree at Linder's Nursery , a long time business with a distinguished reputation. However they went out of business last fall so I don't know who to ask about this now. I appreciate the advise of fellow gardeners like you. Thanks.
    As I said, this tree was recommended for its deep rich red color. It is in my front lawn and is supposed to be awesome for curb appeal. I have seen images online that show a variety of rich reds for this tree - not brown. I just planted the tree in July last year and when fall came the leaves turned this exact brown and then fell off. They never turned red.
    Did yours turn red after turning this brown color?

• AHyams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding. I have a full image of this small tree but that gives a vague reddish impression - perhaps because the leaf stems are red. This close up shows the true color of the leaves, a sort of cherry coke shade of brown. Sorry it is sideways. I didn't know how to reorient it for uploading - but you can see the leaves well enough.

I live in MN - the Twin Cities. I purchased the tree at Linder's Nursery , a long time business with a distinguished reputation. However they went out of business last fall so I don't know who to ask about this now. I appreciate the advise of fellow gardeners like you. Thanks.
    As I said, this tree was recommended for its deep rich red color. It is in my front lawn and is supposed to be awesome for curb appeal. I have seen images online that show a variety of rich reds for this tree - not brown. I just planted the tree in July last year and when fall came the leaves turned this exact brown and then fell off. They never turned red.
    Did yours turn red after turning this brown color?

{{!gwi}}

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Mine is more advanced than yours but likely due to the drier alkaline soil. I've been told this cultivar is one of the more alkaline tolerant red maples. May be some truth to that as this cultivar is the first one that I have had multiple years that hasn't looked chlorotic. Sun Valley, Super Sonic Red and Red Rocket are no longer with me.

I remember its takes a long time for the deep fall color to develop so perhaps you had a hard freeze last year. We had one by second week of October, I'd expect much worse out by you.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Thats as good as the fall color got. Dropped leaves before Sugar Maples where at peak. Its a zone 5 red maple so I think the winter had something to do with its limited growth and late season color up for me.

• AHyams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I will have to just wait and see if mine gets more red. So far this year we haven't had a hard frost - but it won't be long before we get hit with one. The leaf you are showing is a nice color and I bet the tree looks red. Mine is still that cherry coke color but the tips of the leaves are getting a bit more red now. As long as it doesn't drop leaves first, it might turn reddish. Hate to say it but this one isn't likely to ever be the beauty my Autumn Spire was.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

I should add that I have alkaline soil which effects the quality of red maple fall color. I believe you'd have more acidic soil out by you.

I had 30 degrees this past Saturday but this maple was already defoliated. I guess be patient, what you're explaining is what mine did and I had really nice fall color by late October. Seems to be quite tolerant of freezes as well (the extreme would be Ginkgo which drops its leaves with the first freeze)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH