Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Japanese Maple - Leaves dying

Posted by canadianchiliehead (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 14:21

Wondering if anyone can help me. The leaves on my Japanese maple are drying up and dying (?). The nurseries do not have any answer. Has anyone here seen this before....

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/maple/hpgal091244261275.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Japanese Maple - Leaves dying

Judging by the greenness of the lawn, I'm guessing it isn't from lack of water. Has anything happened around the tree lately? Weed spraying including Roundup and TruGreen? Fertilizer including Miracle Grow? When was it planted? Digging in the root area? Cold snap? How long ago did this start?

o

Nothing has changed. The tree was planted last fall. I don't use any weed sprays or fertilizers on the plants or trees. I first noticed this a couple of weeks ago and it has been progressively getting worse. We haven't has any cold spells, but the summer has been the hottest on record for quite some time and very humid. Could it be sun scald or wind burn??

o

What has your watering regimen been for this newly planted 1st year tree?
A japanese maple situated in full sun in extreme heat isn't going to be happy but I keep seeing that green green green lawn and to reach a level of heat that would bother a j maple, that lawn would have been burned up long before that photo was taken.

o

I actually try not to water often, usually once a week with a really deep watering.

o

compared to other trees, JM's are generally less heat tolerant. even within the JM family only a few are even considered "heat tolerant"

just give your tree a few years to settle in and acclimate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here