Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple Identification?

Posted by crazydooker 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 15:00

I won this little beauty at a local landscaping company's pond tour afterparty, but they couldn't ID it for me (which is why they put it up as one of the raffle prizes). This was at the end of July, and I still haven't planted it because I just don't know how big it will get so I keep second-guessing where to put it! :)

I've researched online out the wazoo, and think I have narrowed it down to one of two possible cultivars but am still afraid I'm wrong and will plant it somewhere that it won't work or thrive.

Anyone know for sure (or even relatively sure?) what type it could be (bonus points if you know how big it will get and if it can handle mostly sun in zone 6) :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple Identification?

Hey Crazy, Do a search on Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' and let me know what you think. Colors will vary a little depending on site conditions.
DSC00721(1).

o

Hi Alley_cat - thank you! Yes, Autumn Moon is one of the two that I came up with after hours of googling... the other was acer shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium'. Any idea how I could distinguish between the two to be sure? I'm actually hoping it's the Autumn Moon, because I want to put it in my garden by my pond. But if it turns out to be Palmatifolium, it will be way too large for the area and block views I don't want blocked....
Yours is lovely, and looks just like mine so I think maybe we've got a match!

o

Just going on your colors alone ... for june ... you have an AS 'Autumn Moon'.
~AL

o

Awesome, thank you so much! Appreciate your help.

Kym

o

The mature size difference between the two is negligible so I doubt you have much to worry about even if it is 'Palmatifolium'. And they both grow so slowly, you won't have any issues with size for ages! FWIW, 'Autumn Moon' is a much more common cultivar - I agree that is most likely what you have.

Nice score :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here