Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkozan_gw

October Glory Maple changing colors already?

mkozan
18 years ago

I planted an october glory maple this summer, about a month and a half ago. It seemed to be doing well, but the past week it has started to change colors! It is almost all orange leaves right now except for a few green ones left, and it looks beautiful! The leaves arent falling off and they aren't brown, but I didn't think it was normal for the tree to change colors already. Could something else be wrong?

Comments (10)

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Here in Zone 8 we do often see 'Franksred' RED SUNSET turn in September and 'PNI 0268' OCTOBER GLORY turn in October. However, you are two zones colder. Perhaps that has something to do with it. Or your plant was mislabeled.

Drought conditions often cause early coloring of maples here, but it sounds like this does not apply to your tree.

• mkozan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It might have been labeled wrong. I got it AS-IS at Lowe's for a reduced price. There have been dry times alot this summer, followed by alot of rain, then dry times again. I did water it often the first month or so, now just every few days unless it rains alot.

• noki
    18 years ago

your tree HAS been under a lot of stress this year, maybe it turned early. at least the leaves have not withered or died.

my October Glory, which i planted last July, in zone 5b Columbus Ohio is still all green. it turned red in october last year, i don't remember an all orange phase

• secretgarden260
    18 years ago

We have two of these wonderful Maples. Ours took awhile to adjust and develop. We planted both in 2002 when they were about 8 feet tall. They grew very slowly while enduring both drought and deluge. The leaves were unspectacular for a couple of Autumns. This year we noticed a huge amount of growth. Over the past few weeks the leaves have turned a fiery red which can be seen 2 blocks away. Sounds like yours is just fine, just give it some time.

• carterobrien
    18 years ago

you know, I have a beautiful red maple that was sold as a Red Sunset, but the tree has changed colors in November the past 3 years, so I'm wondering if it's actually an October Glory - anyone know a way to tell the two apart?

• noki
    18 years ago

here is a pic of mine the second year November 13, 2005

• carterobrien
    18 years ago

wow, now that's red! where are you located?

• noki
    18 years ago

I'm in Central Ohio Zone 5B. My "October Glory" turned red later than most other large Maples in the area, which is suppossed to be typical.

• maxydem1
    13 years ago

Hi at all. I´m Maximiliano. I live in Buenos Aires ARGENTINA and i realy love tahat awesome tree. I cant find they here in my countri. I´wonder if some lovely person could send mi some few seeds from simple mail. I can give seeds of Lluvia de oro tree, Jacaranda Tree, Palo borracho Tree, or Paraiso tree.

Thank you, sorry about my pour english and god day to all.

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics

• markmoss
    12 years ago

I have Autumn Blazes, but the leaves don't turn color by mid October here in Vermont...Which Maples do turn by mid October

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County