Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellily

Japanese Maple - Fireglow...Width?

bellily
13 years ago

Hello all,

I have a small area that I was trying to plant a Fireglow or two. These would be next to some Emerald Green Arborvaties planted 4 feet apart. I want to plant the Fireglows at the 2 foot centers and so many feet out. So, my questions:

1) How wide do these get? The tag states 8-10', but on the net it ranges from 8-20'. I live in St. Louis MO zone 6. It sounds like the tags are a range.

2) I have about 20 feet between a sewer cleanout (heavy lid) and my patio. How far should I plant from the sewer and patio? Can these trees cause root problems?

3) How far should I plant from the Arborvaties? They get 4 feet wide.

I just want to be sure I plant in the correct place. I have attached a link to a picture. The patio is on the right and the sewer cleanout is at the upper left. Thanks for your help!!!! Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of back yard

Comment (1)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The problem is that plants grow and change, throughout their lives, and that results vary with factors like how the plant was handled before you got it (including details of propagation method) and how it responds to your site conditions. An extreme example is that subalpine fir can be anything from a creeping shrub to a 100' spire, depending on the environment its seed falls to the ground in.

And they don't stop growing completely until they have died or are dying back and declining.

So you can't lay out plantings with the same sure precision as with building materials like concrete and wood. All you can do is make decisions based on general expectations, proceed from there.

You're never going to be able to get complete assurance from anyone that each one will definitely perform in a specific way, no matter how long you look for it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!