Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

Outdoor stratification for Japanese Maple?

sfhellwig
14 years ago

For those who have grown japanese maple from seed, do you think outdoor sowing during winter will work for cold stratification? I want to harvest and try the seeds from a local tree, several in fact. I have never tried cold stratification and don't think my wife would appreciate seeds in the fridge for 3 months. If I pre-treat and sow in seed flats in the ground or just in the ground would they have a decent chance of germinating? I'm just trying to decide if this is a viable chance to start a good crop or seedlings or if it will be a waste of time.

Comments (6)

• kjskjs
    14 years ago

My advice would be to plant lots! According to the JM expert Vertrees, he planted a bunch of seeds in an outdoor seedbed and waited. The following spring only 5% germinated. The seedbed was forgotten about but left alone. One year later another 5% germinated. This continued for 5-6 years. So plant lots and be patient, and you might want to protect them from critters as well. It makes sense. I guess its like nature's way of playing the odds. An analogy would be how fish lay thousands of eggs but only a few survive to adulthood.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's the problem, there aren't very many of them on the tree I have found. It was more wishful thinking on getting many different kinds of seedlings started next spring. Perhaps I will seek a source for a good amount of seed, like a few hundred. I really wish I had a place to put them and forget them. That is why I planned to pre-treat as I have read the first year usually just breaks the seed coat with germination being the second year. I guess I will give it a go and see what comes out.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also, would I plant these as soon as I harvest to reduce germination inhibitors? I wouldn't want them to germinate before winter or they would be lost for sure but if I dry and hold them they will be more picky about germinating? Any input on that?

• kjskjs
    14 years ago

I would think that any time in Sep or Oct would be good-just like nature does. Try to protect them from the critters. I don't believe there is any danger of germinating before winter. I understand the fridge method works a lot better but you don't need your wife freaking out. Good luck.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have found a few more trees in town to harvest seed from. If I am going to plant these out before drying the seeds do I still need to pre-treat them? Not that a little hot water should hurt a good seed but I want the best odds here and it sounds like I am getting too many variables to do that.

Pick the seeds when the edges are browning.
    Plant fresh so no pre-treating should be necessary?
    Keep them in the ground over winter with screen coverings to keep the critters out.
    Hopefully in spring we get something for our work. For those with experience, does this sound like a decent plan of action?

• jasoncoco
    14 years ago

I have only grow them from seed for a couple years. The main problem i have is squirrels. They love them. They will eat the seeds and kill the seedlings. For no apparent reason. Its like they just bite the seedlings in half and decide they dont want it. i would guess that your plan sounds alright.Make sure the screen is good and secure. Squirrels will chew through anything they can wrap their mouth around. Or they might just find a way around.

Jason

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia