Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 year later, and it got worse, what's going on?

Posted by newgen 9 Cali (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 15:44

This Crimson Queen was beautiful when I bought it Sep 2009, repotted it about Nov 2009. By spring 2010, it grew all new beautiful leaves, then summer came, all leaves dried out. There are some green leaves on it as of today. I have 3 other Japanese maples in the ground on the north side of the house, all doing fine. This potted one, is under the patio, so it only gets indirect sunlight, but is kinda exposed to the wind sometimes. I suspect that the soil is dry, but I check all the time with a moisture gauge, and it never shows "Dry". Not sure if it's overwatered, but I have plenty of holes at the bottom for drainage. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 year later, and it got worse, what's going on?

We live in North Texas and it got so hot that most of our maples did the same. The ones that had sunlight were the worst. Read in the Ft. Worth paper that it is a way for the tree to save itself . They lose water thru the underside of the leaf and cannot stop that. The only way is to basically sacrifice the leaf to keep from losing too much water. It has cooled off a lot lately and ours are starting to get some new leaves. Hopefully it is something that simple.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 22:14

In future maybe use the organic moisture meters consisting of your finger tips and your eyes. With not much experience you should soon be able to tell what is likely to be going on without even poking into the soil.

o

Are those next year's buds I see on the ends of the branches? They look about the same as on your other maples? That's cause for relief if so.

Some trees just die. Heck, some pets just don't live as long either.

I DO NOT have the best eye for this so don't dig her up yet. Should a Japanese Maple of this size have an exposed rootflare? Anyone else think it looks like it might be planted deep?

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 13:10

Those are buds for sure, on the branches. As for the roots, the top layer is some organic mulch I just put in about 2 weeks ago in the hope of retaining more moisture. Since it's dry and hot here in the summer, the top layer of soil dries out very quickly, but the deeper part of the pot is not that dry comparatively, thus the reason for the mulch.

Thanks,

o

i have the same problem with my JM's. they look good until around July-Aug, leaves start to scorch and brown. early fall sometimes they'll leaf out again, and have a nice color show in early winter.

mine are under the patio, east facing, but the morning sun is still very hot here in Houston. i water mine several times a week. the soil dries out fairly quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here