Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple Sango Kaku Question

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 16:16

I got a fairly young Japanese maple marked as Sango Kaku last fall. It had bright red stems and yellow leaves when I bought it since it was October. This year though, no color yet on the new stems that grew this spring/summer. The tree is still in a pot in open shade with one hour of direct sun. What is your experience with this maple in terms of when the red coloring show up on stems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple Sango Kaku Question

Sango Kaku is an enormously popular cultivar and much like 'Bloodgood', suffers a bit from overproduction as well in that it is often grafted from inferior stock. It is also more vulnerable to some common J. maple diseases as well.

But having said that, if yours is from quality stock, the reddest stems will be the newest growth but that is sometimes not very apparent during the growing season -- colder weather seems to bring out the best coloring and winter is the time these trees really glow. Older growth and especially the trunk will fade to a more greenish brown in time but the upper stems and smaller branches should be a bright coral red. The foliage tends to be a grassy, almost chartreuse green during the season but then takes on a peachy golden color in fall. Depending on your specific location, SK can take a lot of sun as well. In my area it grows happily in full sun (with adequate summer watering) and that exposure also seems to intensify the coloring. Since it is still in a container, you might want to try it out in a variety of sitings before planting it permanently to see what works best for the stem coloring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here