Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender88

Japanese Maple Fireglow

lavender88
11 years ago

I guess I should start with we had a tree root problem from some large maples and had to have our sewer pipes changed from clay to what ever they use now.

So my question is can I plant a Fireglow or would that still be a root ploblem.

Next question can you trim a Fireglow to stay smaller this is only about 5' from house or would you not suggest it?

If not any suggestions, would like a tree type plant, we had Burning Bushes there that I kept trimmed like a small tree and already have a Sand Cherry on the other side.

Thanks.

Comments (2)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Japanese maples do not have aggressive root systems. If you now have new sewer pipes, you have few concerns. However even trees without aggressive root systems (even many shrubs) can be drawn to and invade damaged or cracked sewer pipes.

I never recommend pruning a Japanese maple (or most other woody plants for that matter) to stay significantly smaller than it wants to grow. Unnecessary pruning can be harmful to the tree and it usually will affect growth habit and appearance......and not in a good way :-)

'Fireglow' is not a big tree - maybe as much as 15' tall over time but with a narrower spread, perhaps somewhere around 10-12'. Generally it is suggested to not plant any closer to a structure than half the canopy spread - 5' is just about right but it never hurts to err on the plus side.

• lavender88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I seen one on sale the other day and couldn't stop thinking about it, got it today, yea!

I also went and measured first and even full grown I think it will be ok. Thanks again.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living