Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When and how to plant under new Japanese maple

Posted by agathafroo 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 17:56

Just planted a 4' japanese maple last week. I'd like to plant under it, but am not sure if that's best done now--before the tree roots establish themselves--or at some point in the future.

Also I'm not sure how close I can plant to the trunk. I'm planning to plant one sad little clump of columbine 18" away.

Thanks for your help,
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When and how to plant under new Japanese maple

The roots of Japanese are very sensitive to disturbance so the least disruption you can provide the better. That speaks to planting something sooner rather than later, when the roots have spread out significantly from the original rootball.

It is best to choose some sort of plant that requires minimal attention and no need for frequent division, etc. that may require cultivation in the root area. If you were choosing some sort of flat groundcover, you could plant closer to the trunk than I would recommend for something larger, like a perennial or small shrub. I'd still keep a reasonable distance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here