Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on transplanting Maple Tree (Burgundy Lace)

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 18:21

I am in Zone 8, Fraser Valley, British Columbia.

My Burgundy Lace Maple is 2 years old and growing very nicely. It is situated on the north side of my home and is in the center of the lawn. I want to move it to the north west corner of my house. Will it be okay in that location? If so, when is the best time of year to move it? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on transplanting Maple Tree (Burgundy Lace)

In st louis that is the typical spot maples are planted.

Zone8...... Fairly mild winters....

I would move it in a couple weeks when the leaves look 'like fall'. Pre dig the hole next to your home it is going to. Have a wheelbarrow or something handy so you dont need to carry around whatever size crumbling rootball you end up getting out.

o

Will grow just great there. Lots of afternoon sun and probably a lot of Full Sun.

If the tree is small I simply put the roots/rooball in a bucket. If it's large, a tarp to drag it to it's new spot. Tarps work excellent for piling leaves onto to be moved to burn piles and they're essential for landscapers clearing debris and transporting large quantites... with ease.

Dax

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 1, 10 at 23:09

More important to get lots of roots than an intact soil ball. In fact, if the soil in the ball is much different from the soil in the new planting site it's important to NOT re-plant with the roots encased in that soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here