Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Suggest a Small Maple I Should Plant

Posted by ZubberBrit MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 19:18

Hello Everyone,
Gardening novice here and first time poster so please excuse my ignorance.

Im looking for a small maple with red-ish leaves for a yard I am fixing up. It will be planted in Massachusetts in an area next to a deck that gets lots of morning & midafternoon summer sun.

I really dont want it taller than 5 feet but 8 is the absolute Max. It will be planted in a bed no bigger than 4.5 ft. wide. In the linked photo it will replace the evergreen shrub on the left once the bed has been widened and the timbers replaced.

From what I have read here I was looking to use the Japanese Maple Ruby Stars or "Acer palmatum Corallinum".

Am I on the right track or would you suggest something else.

Thanks for the help :)
-ZB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Suggest a Small Maple I Should Plant

I would recommend avoiding 'Corallinum' - it is not a robust plant, very prone to pseudomonas and not very tolerant of any hot afternoon sun. Instead I would recommend 'Pixie' - only gets to about 5' tall ( maybe to 7' after many years) and is a strong grower, happy in afternoon sun. And it has great coloring that holds up well in sun, something that a number of red leaved maples do not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer palmatum 'Pixie'

o

Thanks very much I appreciate the info. I'll get looking for some Pixie's :)
-ZB

o

Shaina could be a possibility. Rarefind Nursery has 2 gallon ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here