Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple

Posted by Allan870 Arkansas (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 19:59

I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese Maple for $40. (50% off). I can't find any info online, & was wondering if anybody knew about it. It doesn't look similar to any if my other weeping maples. (Inaba shidare, red dragon, or Tamukeyama). It really looks like a Japanese Maple mixed with a weeping willow to me. I was really wondering Fall leaf color. I know there are lots of varieties of maples, but hoping someone has ran across one. I'll also post photos of leaves & trunk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple

Leaves:

o

Trunk: (top of tree)

o

Sorry, the variety is called "Eric's weeping"

o

Allan

I'm not familiar with Acer palmatum 'Eric's Weeping'. It reminds me of Acer palmatum 'Ryusen'.

Patrick

o

It could be a newer variety? People find new mutations and seedlings all the time. Home Depot sells all kinds of mislabeled stuff and stock from mass growers who change names all the time to avoid royalties of patented plants. Is the growers name on the plant tag or sticker on the pot? Sometimes you can trace it back to the grower and inquire.

o

Thanks Patrick! It really does remind me of "Ryusen" too. Some things look a little different. But it might just be my particular plant, or the fact that it has sat in HD all summer. I have been searching Google for the past several days, and found no plants that even look similar. The "Ryusen" for sure does though!

Here's info for the company. I'm going to see if I can contact them and get more information. But regardless, I really like the look of this maple. It was 10 gallon and only $40. Not too bad. Last Fall, I got a 10 gallon inaba shidare for under $20. So not the best deal I've ever got, but still not too bad!

o

I think I found an email address. I am going to email them, and I will share any information I get here.

o

The label is wrong. That tree isn't a dissectum. What a mess.

o

Still waiting on their reply, but I bought some more today. ;) I already have 2 Bloodgoods, but this one was such a good deal, and really pretty, I couldn't pass it up. I also picked up an Emperor One for $10. It looked kind of rough, but figured it'd be worth a try. I also purchased a small Japanese cedar. They had some large ones earlier in the year next to the bloodgoods, and they looked really nice. It was only $12, so I thought I'd try it too.

This post was edited by Allan870 on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 15:05

o

The company replied, and told me that if I researched Ryusens, the characteristics would all be the same. So it may be a case of them just having to sell it under a different name, due to copyright issues. But I've been researching the Ryusen, and it looks like it is going to be a really awesome!

o

I'd avoid purchasing from growers that make up names for plants. First, it means they are doing something a bit underhanded and second, you have no idea exactly what you are going to wind up with.

'Eric's Weeping' is not a registered cultivar name........perhaps this IS a Ryusen in disguise :-) There are not all that many weeping forms of Japanese maples that are not laceleafs/dissectums so your assumption that it may be the same plant is valid. Can you see an obvious graft union? Named JM's must be grafted. If a seed-grown tree, if could look very much like the parent plant (Ryusen?) but cannot be called by the same name. Whatever, even the tag on the pot is inaccurate as well as this is NOT a dissectum - those leaves are not in the slightest bit dissected or lacy.

o

It is for sure not a dissectum. I think Home Depot or whoever potted them just put like all the 10 Gallons in the same pot, and then put the correct tags on the branches. (Which isn't good if the tags fall off). The Bloodgood, which is the same size pot, said the same thing.

I think it probably is Ryusen. (Just from looking online). I'll post a photo of the leaves in a few weeks as they change. I'm not sure about the graft union. I'll try to get a photo of it... it's dark outside, but maybe I can get a decent photo with my phone.

o

This is the best photo I could get right now with my cell phone. I might could get my good camera out tomorrow and get a better one. It don't look grafted to me? But I did buy a large Inaba Shidare, (same size) and the trunk looked similar. The grafts on the smaller Maples I have are more obvious. I've not had them long enough to honestly know what the graft looks like as it gets larger.

(Dunno why the photo is sideways. It's not on my computer. :\ )

o

• Posted by sugi 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 15:02

This is a renamed maple, and the true name is 'Ryu Sei' not 'Ryu Sen'.

o

This looks like 'Ryusen' which I own. I never heard of 'Erics Weeping' and don't know of any other green palmatums that grow like this. The picture of the trunk shows an obvious graft so it is not just a seedling of 'Ryusen' so most likly it is 'Ryusen' sold with an incorrect name to avoid copyright issues.

As far as the name "Ryusen' vs 'Ryusei' it is 'Ryusen' and that is not just my opinion, it was tracked back to a supplier on another forum and the response was:

"the proper name is 'Ryusen'. It is listed on my license agreement with ItSaul Plants, LLC as Acer palmatum 'Ryusen' PPAF. It translates roughly as 'falling waters' or 'flowing river'. I have seen it listed as 'Ryusei' in 'Book for Maples', a japanese book by Masayoshi Yano, but this is not correct. I have met Mr. Kobayashi from Kobayashi Maple Nursery, who found the plant and named it. He is the son of Jiro Kobayashi who selected 'Jiro shidare'. Mr. Kobayashi says that particular book has many mistakes and is generally not considered an authoritative text."

As far as the tree goes, I am very happy with mine. It is a very strong grower and pretty much wants to grow straight down. You should stake it if you want a taller tree, it doesn't seem to grow up at all. It has shown some really nice fall colors from yellow, orange, red and even a little purple. I'm sure you will like it. Here is a picture of mine early last fall when it was just starting to color up.

o

That is beautiful! I did go ahead and stake it. The stake is probably 6 or 7 feet tall. I am planning on building a stream in my backyard this spring. I plan on finding a way to feature the Ryusen along it. But after researching online and getting opinions on here, I'm almost certain that it is a Ryusen. I think it probably was a copyright issue.

o

What good is a copyright if the rules aren't followed and punishment is not enforced?
Mike

o

I probably would not have purchased it if I would've known it was a rip-off. :\ It didn't even cross my mind. It was just a really great price, and I thought it looked nice. I did find it odd that I couldn't pull up any information about it on my phone via Google, but didn't think about it until reading replies in this thread. It is for sure something that be in the back of my mind for future purchases.

o

You liked it and bought it. The only thing that's changed is the name, not the tree. Where's the rip-off?
Mike

o

I meant ripping off the hard work of people who produced the original plant and went through the trouble copyrighting it. I will try to be more conscious in the future and try to support those who put in the hard work to develop it.

o

Yeah, I see you there.
Could happen to anybody.
Mike

o

Here's an update on it. This is the first Spring that I have had it, and it has blown me away with the color of the leaves. Not a bad deal for $30!

o

Very nice. Why on earth did you plant it so close to the fence? You realize it's a tree, right?

o

About time to get rid of the stake as well.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here