Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer palmatum 'Red Pygmy' in full sun

Posted by mrgpag swOH-Z5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 20:08

any comments pro or con about this? I see several nurseries including one in Decatur GA say "tolerates full sun very well". I found a nice plant on sale but my only spot is in full sun.
Marshall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer palmatum 'Red Pygmy' in full sun

Wouldn't be my first choice for it :-) That very narrow, almost linearlobum foliage is more delicate than the standard A.p. leaf shape and can be prone to dessication faster. OTOH, the red color will not sunburn as easy as a standard green linearlobum. Even in my very mild summer climate (so far north), my linearlobum types receive and are happiest in part shade.

Most sources recommend protection from "hot afternoon sun" for this cultivar.

o

Gardengal said "Wouldn't be my first choice for it"

So what would be your choices?

Thanks for your reply

Marshall

o

I would select from one of the following:

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese maples for full sun

o

Thanks -
I see that list - or at least part of it - on several other websites. Wonder where it originated?

I already have a number of those suggestions and all in part shade. And the others are somewhat difficult to find in a landscape size. At my age I prefer larger to smaller. But I'll keep looking - Seiryu would probably be my choice of what I don't have. Or I may plant some sort of upright narrow conifer

Marshall

o

Hi Marshall, Heres a few fotos of a 'Red Pygmy' ive been growing since a small graft.Mine does receive a large amount of sun and seems to handle it ok. A couple of observations from mine are ...they are slow growers and they will green-up in the heat. I wouldnt use mine as a stand alone specimen tree, but i do like them and think they look good in a garden of conifers. The leaves are a little unique being strap like. ~AL
\DSC00653

o
another

DSC00658.

o
last foto

DSC00632.JPG

o

Hmm.
Mine, also in Maryland, gets full sun. It needs quite a bit of water not to curl and burn.

I have 'Lozita' 'Red Crusader' 'Sherwood Flame' 'Maiku Jaku' 'Pacific Sprite' 'Okagami' 'Emperor 1' 'Trompenburg' 'Fireglow' 'Autrolinaere (SP?)' 'Corillium' 'Inaba Shidare' 'Sangu kaku' 'Shania' and a bunch others in extremely full sun.

Sorry about some of the spellings. I'm tired & haven't the energy to correct myself. I find the shrub maples not to give a darn about my horrendous drought and sun. If they can survive here, they can survive up there.

o

Thanks for the comments - I think I may have a spot for one.
Marshall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here