Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot for replanting Japanese Maples

Posted by macknkss 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 21:34

I've been reading these forums trying to figure out what a good planter size would be for an aconitofolium and all red lace leaf JM. The trunk diameter of the acon is 1" and it's 2 feet tall, the all red is .5" and it's a little over 1 foot tall. They are currently in pots that are 10" wide, 12" tall.

I bought the pots in the link below but am worried they are to shallow at only 6" deep and 20" wide. Will these work for 2 years or so? How deep does it need to be if not. Thanks,
Mack

http://www.lowes.com/pd_251792-85808-TLBWL-BLK_0__?productId=3273695&Ntt=planter&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dplanter&facetInfo=

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot for replanting Japanese Maples

Nice pot but not what I'd consider very appropriate for your trees. You might be able to do the red laceleaf in this for a season but that's about it. The Aconitifolium is too big already and will only get bigger.

I grow all of my JM's in containers and I tend to err on the generous side, simply because I am not fond of root pruning or repotting too frequently. It would help to know the rootball size now - I tend to pot up 1G plants into 2 or 3G containers right away and leave them for a couple of seasons. I then move them up to larger containers for a more permanent home - typically something at least 20-24" in diameter and close to the same depth.

One other factor you want to think about - in addition to being an adequate size for the root mass, you want your containers to be of appropriate scale or proportion to the tree - too shallow a container looks weird for a taller tree. Like a bonsai that has run amok!!

o
RE: Pot for replanting Japanese Maples

Thanks for the advice gardengal, a larger size is probably better. I just ordered this from Rite Aid, all their garden stuff is 50% off with free shipping now.

http://www.riteaidonlinestore.com/Marchioro-USA-Inc-Osaka-Planter/dp/B008MOMFHC?field_availability=-1&field_browse=3003305011&field_keywords=planter&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Marchioro+USA+Inc+Osaka+Planter-&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbinsubjectbincolor_mappricesize_name&searchKeywords=planter&searchNodeID=3003305011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here