Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Blaze or October Glory?

Posted by cathy_ca (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 21:41

Our old and large red oak (60' wide) has died and will be removed, leaving a hole in the backyard landscape. Am considering a maple for our full sun, clay soil location. Any thoughts about the autumn blaze or october glory maples? Pros and cons or other suggestions welcome. We are in the San Francicsco bay area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Blaze or October Glory?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 23:46

October Glory has exceptional fall color characteristics.

o

October Glory, being a red maple (also called 'swamp maple') may fare better in your clay soil, which is subject to being water logged. I had an 'Autumn Blaze' and it got a little damage on the trunk. It quickly rotted out and was infested with borers! Since it has a Silver Maple parent, it has weaker wood and thin bark. It grows faster than an October Glory, but I think the October Glory is a far superior tree and one that will last in your landscape.

K4

o

Personally, Autumn Blaze. Grows faster, is half red maple, and handles wet clay soil just fine as long as it is not standing in water. It is much more drought resistant, and colors earlier and longer in the fall. There are large numbers of them in my area, and suffer very little wind/winter storm damage. They are dense trees foilage trees which can be good or bad depending upon your perspective. With that said, if you want lesser density, and more break resistance, but keeping the other properties of Autumn Blaze, then consider Autumn Fantasy instead. More of a ruby red fall color, and is purported in the patent application to be very resistant to winter damage. It is also a silver.red maple hybrid. Originates from a tree in Illinois if I remember correctly. I have both, and LOVE them. JMHO

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 12:50

Why the oak died could be an important point.

o

Here is a recent picture of my Autumn Blaze, it was on of the first trees to turn colors and the picture was taken on 10/04/2008. The tree was planted about two years ago come late fall, and I think it is just beautiful. -Ivy

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t59/appalotranch/AutumnBlaze10053012.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: App-A-Lot Ranch

o

Both my sister and I had planted Autumn Blaze ... they had colored up nicely, though had lost nearly all the foliage even before any frost had touched them, we are disappointed the color had not lingered ... the trees are otherwise healthy.

Terry

o

I cannot decide between the October Glory or Autumn Blaze maple trees.
We will plant 2 trees in our large front yard. We are in zone 7 and are new to Chapel Hill, NC so your recommendations are welcome. I want a tree that is going to be a brighter red or orange vs. a burgundy. I prefer brighter reds than a dark burgundy. One of the maples will be planted about 12' from driveway and would that be a problem?
Also, which tree will flower sooner and stay on for a longer period of time. Thanks for your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here